Translate

Thursday, December 29, 2022

Survey: My 2022 In Books|| End of Year Book Survey

**2022 READING STATS**
Number Of Books You Read: 85
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Number of DNFs: 12
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy

 

1. Best Book You Read In 2022?
    Adult: The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams
    Middle-Grade: Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
There was a lot that didn't work for me in this sequel. I loved the first book, but the characters felt like their development took a step backward in this book. It bummed me out.
 
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  
I went in with no expectations, and really enjoyed this book. It was a lot of fun.

This book just didn't live up to the hype. 

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
     I have no idea if any book I suggested was actually read by anybody.
 
5. Best series you started in 2022? Best Sequel? Best Series Ender of 2022?
    First book: Daughter of the Moon Goddess (The Celestial Kingdom Duology #1) by Sue Lynn Tan
 
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2022? 
     Jackie Lau, and Jen Williams
 This was tough to choose.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Cozy Murder-mystery. 

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
    A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes #3) by Sabaa Tahir
Book Four, A ​Sky Beyond the Storm, would also fit here. But there was a lot more tense moments in this book that left me wondering about the fate of the characters.

9. Book You Read In 2022 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
    If I have time to re-read anything, it will likely be Yona of the Dawn.
 I read volumes 19-37 this year, I can read one volume of manga in about an hour so those would be the easiest to re-read.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2022?
 

11. Most memorable character of 2022?
    Probably Wayne from Misborn Era2. He's an oddball.
 
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2022?  
   The sequel felt unnecessary, and the way things ended in that book made me enjoy this book a little less overall. Still a beautifully written story.
 
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2022?
     Nothing was "life-changing" but a book that helped me see somethings in a different light was:
 
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2022 to finally read?
    Saga, Vol. 1 Brian K. Vaughan with Fiona Staples (Illustrator)
 I'm still reading the Compendium, I accidentally saw the last page and was spoiled for something I wasn't expecting so I took a break. I hope to finish it soon, I made it about halfway.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2022?
     I didn't think to save any quotes I liked.
 
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2022?
Shortest: Snow, Glass, Apples by Neil Gaiman with Colleen Doran (Illustrator)
(88 pages)
 
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
 

There were a couple of really good plot twists in this book.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
 Yona and Hak from Yona of the Dawn. 
 They are just so precious, and I hope they get their happily ever after. (I'm just really worried they won't)
 
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
      Tormalin and Vintage
The Winnowing Flame trilogy by Jen Williams
They have a humorous friendship

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2022 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
 

Leslye Penelope, also writes under L. Penelope, and she is an auto-read author for me.
 
21. Best Book You Read In 2022 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
    The only book I have for this is The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams.
 
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2022?
 Don't have these any more, but the best boy-friend in a book is Elias in the An Ember in the Ashes series.
 
23. Best 2022 debut you read?
     I've only read one debut that was published this year, that I can think of
Daughter of the Mood Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan 
 
There are other first-book of series that came out this year that I've read but the authors had written and published other books previously.
24. Best World-building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
 
 
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? 
 
These are the volumes I read this year, this low-stakes low-fantasy slice-of-life Manga is so wholesome and all the characters are the kind you wish were real so you could join their friend group and they'd all happily invite you to join.
 
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2022?
     I haven't read any books that made or almost made me cry this year.
 
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
   

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
 

 There is one book I can think of that felt like a gut-punch because I didn't know what the fate of our characters was going to be. And horrible thing after another kept happening.
A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes #3) by Sabaa Tahir
I could also use the fourth book in this spot too, but the ending of the third book was more of a gut-punch.
 
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2022?
     

 
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
    The only books that I can think of that made me mad, are ones that I didn't like. And the only one that I don't feel bad about sharing here for this is
Summer Knight by Jim Butcher.
There is a lot of content in this series that didn't age well... a fellow wizard character, who is repeatedly called "Injun Joe"... I get that this book was written in the early 2000s but at the same time, I feel like it's something the author didn't care about being potentially offensive, especially when this same character makes a "joke" about being 'Native American Joe.'.. and Stop.

 


1. New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2022?
     I've found a few new YouTubers this year but my favorite would have to be
 
She has a lot of very insightful and informative videos about a bunch of topics.

2. Favorite post you wrote in 2022?
    I like most of the reviews I post the most. Even though they get almost no traffic.

3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2022?
    The one I took when I went to a second-hand bookstore for my birthday back in May.

  
4. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?
    Staying motivated. It's been a weird couple of years.
 
5. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
     This Top Ten Tuesday post:
I got to 8 of the ten books, so I call that a win. 

6. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
     This will never stop being my answer, until it happens, any of my reviews. I put more work into those than the other posts.

7. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
     I think maybe Bookshop.org, and also learning that there is a indie bookstore in my town. It just opened like a month before The Panorama so I didn't know about it, it also runs on appointment only so going there has to be planned out way in advance, but with Bookshop.org, a website where the books you buy the money goes to any indie-bookstore of your choosing I can still support it.

8.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
    I set my Goodreads challenge to 1 book this year so I could read with no pressure.
 
 

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2022 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2023?
    There are a lot of books I didn't get to this year that I'd like to get to next year. But I think the book I want to get to the most is The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2023 (non-debut)?

     I have been really bad at keeping track of new books this year. I've been focused on reading owned books, and "backlog" books.

3. 2023 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
     Same answer as above here.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2023?
     I think Yona of the Dawn, Vol. 38 might be translated for a 2023 release. 

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2023?
     I've been kicking around the idea of starting a Youtube channel for reviews. So maybe that. I just have to figure out a filming situation.

6. A 2023 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone (if applicable):
    The number one book that comes to mind is:
 
It feels like a modern fairy tale. The characters, the story. I love all of it, and am already looking forward to the sequel.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to take a closer look at Death by Dumplings, sounds like it might be worth it. Daughter of the Moon Goddess pops up everywhere. I will have to see what the hype is all about!

    Happy New Year!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete