Translate

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children #2) by Seanan McGuire

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


 I, finally, started reading the first book, I shared that one for one of these posts about a year ago at this point (twice *facepalm*). I'm about half way though the first book at the moment, and since it's a short book I think I could be done with it by the end of the weekend.
 
 
Synopsis:
   Twin sisters Jack and Jill were seventeen when they found their way home and were packed off to Eleanor West’s Home for Wayward Children.
This is the story of what happened first…
   Jacqueline was her mother’s perfect daughter—polite and quiet, always dressed as a princess. If her mother was sometimes a little strict, it’s because crafting the perfect daughter takes discipline.
   Jillian was her father’s perfect daughter—adventurous, thrill-seeking, and a bit of a tom-boy. He really would have preferred a son, but you work with what you've got.
They were five when they learned that grown-ups can’t be trusted.
   They were twelve when they walked down the impossible staircase and discovered that the pretense of love can never be enough to prepare you a life filled with magic in a land filled with mad scientists and death and choices.

********************
 
 

Book Beginning:
People who knew Chester and Serena Wolcott socially would have placed money on the idea that the couple would never choose to have children.

Friday 56:
The floor was a narrow lip, no more than two feet at its widest point, circling the outside of the room.





**********


Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link
What To Do
1. Post an answer for the prompt.
2. Enter your Name/Nickname @ Blog Name and the direct URL to your post answering this week’s question linky list widget.
3. Please visit other blogs on the list and leave a comment on their BBH post

Q: If you receive a request from an author to read his/her book and you don't have time, do you suggest another way to help the author?

A: Ya know, I never really thought to do that. But it's only happened a couple of times, so I don't feel too-too bad about not doing that.


*************

Favorite and Least Enjoyed read of August.
I actually remembered to do this.
I haven't had the greatest reading month this month. 
 
 
Yay
★★★★★

Nay
★☆☆☆☆

7 comments:

  1. I can see several different ways the book would go from that opening sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think offering other options for reviews isn't a "must" so no need to feel bad about it! I quite often don't do it because direct requests really often don't line up with my own taste. But what does line up with my taste is 'Down Among the Sticks and Bones'! LOoooove the sound of that. And I'm also so relieved I'm not the only one who will post about a book and then forget to read it... Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely curious for more!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds intriguing! The cover looks a bit spooky.
    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/26/friday-56-norse-mythology-by-neil-gaiman/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Seanan McGuire! I've only read the first in this series, but this one is on my list.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suggest a spotlight if I don't have time to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get request to review a book. There some authors I know through their blog or Youtube that I have brought their books to help support them.

    ReplyDelete