Translate

Monday, March 21, 2022

Review: The Pale Dreamer and The Dawn Chorus by Samantha Shannon

Title:
The Pale Dreamer
Author: Samantha Shannon
Series: The Bone Season #0.5
Genre: Sci-fi/Dystopian/Paranormal
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Publication Date: December 6th, 2016
Edition: Kindle Edition, 78 pages
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble 
 
 
 
 
Synopsis: 
   In the perilous heart of Scion London, a dangerous and valuable poltergeist is on the loose - and it must be caught before chaos erupts on the streets of the capital. Here, the clairvoyant underworld plays by its own rules, and rival gangs will stop at nothing to win such a magnificent prize.
   Sixteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working for Jaxon Hall, the most notorious mime-lord in the city. He thinks she is hiding a powerful gift, but it refuses to surface. Maybe this is the opportunity she needs to secure her position in his gang, the Seven Seals.

   A dreamer is born – the exhilarating prequel to the New York Times bestselling Bone Season series.
 
******
I wasn't sure what to expect going into this novella, but I'm glad I did. I should re-read the rest of the books before reading the fourth. It's been so long since I've read a book from this series, and re-reading my reviews is unhelpful since I strive to be as spoiler-free as I can when I write reviews. They're all vague AF.

It was interesting seeing Paige who she was before everything happened. Even with her being the MC and seeing basically everything through her eyes, a lot about her is still a mystery. One of the reasons why I want, almost need, to re-read the other books is I don't recall if there was a reason given to why her father was distant with her, and I want a refresher.
 
 I was hoping for a little more than this book offered, but I still really enjoyed it.
 
 I keep lying to myself about re-reading the other main books in the series before reading the most reading the fourth book that I've recently acquired. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. This is a series that I would re-read, I wouldn't have purchased them otherwise.
 
 

 
 *****************************************************
 
Title:
The Dawn Chorus
Author: Samantha Shannon
Series: The Bone Season #3.5
Genre: Sci-fi/Dystopian/Paranormal
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Publication Date: July 9th, 2020
Edition: Kindle Edition, 78 pages
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble 
 
 
 
 
Synopsis:
   Paige Mahoney and Arcturus Mesarthim have arrived in the Scion Citadel of Paris. Exhausted by her efforts against Scion, Paige has no choice but to remain in hiding, away from the revolution she started, so she can heal and come to terms with her mental and physical scars.
   In the confines of a safe house, Arcturus and Paige begin to reconnect after following separate paths for weeks. As they wait for contact from the mysterious Domino Programme – an espionage network operating in Scion – they remember their complicated past, and what brought them together.

   An ebook exclusive which bridges the story between the previous and forthcoming instalments of Samantha Shannon's international phenomenon series The Bone Season.
*******************

This was a good "refresher" before I continue on with the main series.

   This novella shows a little of what happened when Paige first met Arcturus (Warden) in book one, I don't remember how much if any was information given in that first book since it's been several years since I've read it while showing some of Paige's recovery from her capture in the Song Rising, (book 3).

   This book has some of the best representation and depiction of recovery for PTSD that I have ever read. Paige went through hell in the previous book, and in this book, it has been a couple of weeks at most since she escaped, for a second time, from her capture. She is still raw with betrayal and the physical and mental torture she endured. Her trauma isn't glossed over or "fixed" by the end of the novella, but she has begun to accept that she may never be who she was before.
 
   Reading this has really made me excited to get back to this world. And since I already have it, I hope to get to it very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment