Translate

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Review: A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir

Title:
A Reaper at the Gates
Author: Sabaa Tahir
Series: An Ember in the Ashes #3
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Romance/Mythology
Publisher: Razorbill 
Publication Date: June 12th, 2018
Edition: Kindle Edition, 473 pages
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | BAM | Book Depository | Bookshop | Powell's | Thriftbooks
 
 
 
Synopsis:
   Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.
   The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister's life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.
   Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she'd have to fight.
   And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias's devotion--even at the cost of his humanity. 

**********

   It took me a couple days to get to this review. I had some feelings to get over, and some thoughts to unpack. Short version, this book has destroyed me, and the next book had better right some wrongs I feel were done.
 
   Laia and Elias, man I hate that they have to suffer like this. They both have been through so much, and I just want them to be happy. I accidentally saw some spoilers for the end of the story, I just don't know how they get there.
 
   Laia has had some fantastic character development in this series. I really appreciate how organic her development has been. None of it happened over night, and she still has some of that fear she had at the start of book one, but now she know how to stamp it down to get done what needs to get done, but she also still has a bleeding heart for anybody who suffers. That even still in spite of it all that has happened and been done to her, she still cares deeply for others no matter who they are.

   Elias, I hate what has been done to him. He's had so much stolen from him. And now he may lose Laia as well. It just sucks. Elias has been through just as much as Laia probably why they are so compatible, they understand what the other has been through. On the surface, it would seem that Elias has had it easier than Laia, but he was abandoned by his mother, then taken from the only family he ever knew and forced to become something he hates, then nearly murdered by his mother.

   Helene, she's had the most interesting development. Though where Elias and Laia have more or less completed their development, it feels like she is in the middle of hers, realizing what she always thought was true is lies. That she has been serving the real enemies her whole life. I can't wait to see where she goes in the next book. And I hope she finds happiness. She deserves it, and I hope she doesn't lose another person she loves. Though now that I say that, I'm scared that might be what will happen.

   I hope to learn what Darin is hiding, his reluctance to make weapons is understandable, but he also seems to completely refuse to tell Laia why. And that is what I find suspicious. I also hope that is resolved or something.

   It seems that a handful of Scholars have some kind of ability, and I am curious  where that comes from exactly. There is just a lot of what ifs, and only one book left. Y'all, I'm scared.

1 comment:

  1. Helene's my favorite character and I always felt so bad for her.

    ReplyDelete