Translate

Monday, February 14, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Were Difficult to Review

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
Now, hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.
 
 
 
 
   This week's original topic was a struggle for me, 'Books Too Good to Review Properly', the trouble is, I only don't review books that I either didn't finish, or I didn't really care about reviewing. If a book is good, I will always review it so I can at least gush. But gush reviews, for me at least, often lead to potential spoilers and I always try to not spoil books in my review. Sometimes I have a hard time reviewing a book because it was so weird.
   Here are some books that I had to write and rewrite the review for until I was able to get what I was trying to say out coherently. 
 
******************

   I just finished this book, and I am at a loss for words a bit. I've been spoiled for ending, because I took too long to finish this series. But I don't know how things get there. This is likely going to be my next review.

   This one was hard because it was a sequel, and I had to find a way to review this book with out spoiling the first book, but also convey what I loved about it to hopefully convince people to read the series.

   So much happened in this book, so quickly I might have actually forgotten some of the events, and I read it fairly quick. It took me a couple days to process what I read.

   This was one of the books that I had to stop myself from gushing over.

   This was a book that I wanted people to into as blind as possible, I didn't want to give anything away when it came to this book. This book/story is so interesting and there's a bit of a mystery in it that I think is best to have no hints on. (this is also translated work from Norwegian)

   Another one where I wanted people to go in blind, but also aspects of this book/world were confusing to me. Somethings were kind of glossed over. But after reading more of her books, she is more of a character-driven writer, and her worldbuilding is more a backdrop than a key player in the plot. At least it seems that way.

   This was the first "true" Grim-Dark fantasy I had ever read. I had read other 'dark' adult fantasy in the past, but this book surpassed it, and it was a little hard to sort out what to focus on with my review.

   This book was so GD weird, in the best way possible, I had no idea where to start with my review. It's amazing and I need to re-read it before I read the sequel at this point because I don't remember about half what happened.

Lips Touch: Three Times by Laini Taylor, (illustrated by) Jim Di Bartolo -
   I'm not very good at reviewing short story compilations. Each short story was amazing in this book, but I didn't know how to review them.

   The reason why this one was hard to review, was that I thought it was going to be a duology when I picked it up, and I found out right before I finished this book that it was going to be a trilogy.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes reviews definitely takes a lot of crafting before we can publish the final review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quit reading An Ember in the Ashes after the first book. I think I was one of the few that didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it hard to review mid-series books. Like what is even the audience, people who were on the fence about the first book? I think there are a lot of series where I have just reviewed the first and last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it is SOOOO hard to describe a book without including spoilers. Even mentioning a surprise ending or a great twist can be spoilery. It can be so tough on us poor book bloggers who just want to talk about books we love!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing and rewriting a review to get it right can be so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love gushing about books I love but then the reviews don't end up being actual "reviews" just me repeating that everyone should read the book cos it's awesome, haha! 😂 I'm hoping to re-read the Mistborn series this year and write reviews for them this time (let's see how that goes lol)... Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potential spoilers are one of the main reasons I have difficulty reviewing a book properly. Great choices this week!

    ReplyDelete