Translate

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || Engines of Empire The Age of Uprising #1 Richard S. Ford

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

I hoped to start this one sooner, but books I've had on hold from the library kept coming in and I read those first. This book has already been released but I got this eARC from NetGalley a couple of months ago. Better late than never I guess.
 
 
Synopsis:
   The nation of Torwyn is run on the power of industry, and industry is run by the Guilds. Chief among them are the Hawkspurs, and their responsibility is to keep the gears of the empire turning. It’s exactly why matriarch Rosomon Hawkspur sends each of her heirs to the far reaches of the nation.
   Conall, the eldest son, is sent to the distant frontier to earn his stripes in the military. It is here that he faces a threat he could have never seen coming: the first rumblings of revolution.
   Tyreta’s sorcerous connection to the magical resource of pyrstone that fuels the empire’s machines makes her a perfect heir–in theory. While Tyreta hopes that she might shirk her responsibilities during her journey one of Torwyn’s most important pyrestone mines, she instead finds the dark horrors of industry that the empire would prefer to keep hidden.
   The youngest, Fulren, is a talented artificer, and finds himself acting as consort to a foreign emissary. Soon after, he is framed for a crime he never committed. A crime that could start a war.
   As each of the Hawkspurs grapple with the many threats that face the nation within and without, they must finally prove themselves worthy–or their empire will fall apart.








Book Beginning:
    Prologue
Courage. That ever-elusive virtue. Willet had once been told a man could never possess true courage without first knowing true fear.
 
Friday 56:
Today she had made sure Jarlath Radwinter knew she was onto his schemes. He had underestimated her and fallen into her trap.
Eventually Sanctan Egelrath would do the same.
 
 
 


***************

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: What genre do you refuse to read and why? 

A: There isn't a genre that I would "refuse" to read, exactly. I read what I think I might enjoy or sounds interesting. But Thriller/Horror doesn't really interest me. If I came across one that I think I'd like though, I would read it. Just haven't found that book yet.

6 comments:

  1. I do like that beginning. It makes sense to me. I'm sure it isn't always true, but I suspect it is more often then not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Engines of Empire' sounds intriguing, but it does sound like there's quite a lot going on! The F56 is definitely drawing me in though. I'm the same on not actively refusing, but I do know what I like so I tend to stick with that. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite intriguing, and cool cover!
    Mine is in French this time: https://francebooktours.com/2022/02/18/le-promeneur-sur-le-cap-friday-56-vendredi-lecture/
    I have free copies and also a giveaway, so if you read French or have friends who do, please pass the information along. Have a great week-end

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that cover and the snippets you shared have me even more curious about the novel. It's been ages since I read a fantasy novel like this. I should remedy that. Thank you for sharing! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cover and snippets! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantasy setting sounds very intriguing. Good opening and snippet. Will have to find out more about these books. Thanks for sharing. My first post for Friday 56 and First Line Friday is up - http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2022/02/first-line-friday-naked-in-death.html

    ReplyDelete