Translate

Thursday, January 20, 2022

Book Beginngings | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || The Alloy of Law (Mistborn: Wax & Wayne #1, The Mistborn Saga #4) by Brandon Sanderson

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I finally got around to checking this out from the library. Not as many people talk about this era of Mistborn as they do era-1. So I thought I'd check it out, with less talk, there's less hype so I have my own expectations to go on. Which is nice, the level of hype and positive reviews for era-1 is why I held off so long on reading it in the first place.
 
Synopsis:
   Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is now on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.
   Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.
   One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will.
   After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.

 
 *****
 
Book Beginning:
   Wax crept along the ragged fence in a crouch, his boots scraping the dry ground.

Friday 56:
   "The Coolerim Playhouse," Wayne said, leaning forward. "Two nights ago, it was robbed in the middle of the performance."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
************************************************** 

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link


Q: What is the average number of books you read per month?
 
A: As a mood-reader, it really depends. I've never counted, but if I had to guess, 3, maybe 4 books a month.

7 comments:

  1. Both intriguing quotes. But I want to know more about that robbery in the middle of a performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked up my first Sanderson novel yesterday Cytonic, while in a huge rush at the library and, I didn't realize that it was a book three until I got home with it. Normally I am so careful to check that, but I had people waiting in the car. Now I'm trying to decide between tracking down the first two books or just reading this one to see if I want to find them. I so hate to read books out of order though. Your books sounds like a good read though but I suspect that I should probably read the other Mistborn books first, argh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an odd name for a dude.... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hype can make or break a book sometimes, depending on which way our expectations go so it's nice when we we don't have to add that in to the mix. I find myself putting off some books because of the hype and others I jump right into. It's funny how that works out. LOL I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy this one! I average 18 books a month. Have a great weekend! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/first-line-friday-song-of-silence.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get caught up on this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting quotes! It looks like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete