Translate

Monday, October 4, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Pet Peeves

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
Now, hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

GET SPOOKY IT'S HALLOWEEN! πŸ‘»πŸŽƒπŸ’€πŸ§™
    Halloween starts at my house on October 1st. 
As usual, this list isn't in any particular order.

1) Mid-series cover change.
    Just wait for the series to be finished, then change the covers. It can't be that hard. And honestly, more books would be sold because collectors exist who want to own every edition of their favorite book, so they'd want to buy all the editions.

2) When books in the same series aren't the same height.
    This one bothers me more than the cover change. A cover change, the books with different covers just need to be re-purchased. Books that are a different height, there is nothing that can be done about that. 

3) The 'Alpha-male' trope.
    Can we just, collectively, agree that overbearing men, who like to control every aspect of the person they are trying to have a relationship with can just go in the bin? It's not sexy or attractive for a man who just met the woman to start telling her how to run her life just because he finds her attractive. 

4) When Only Half the Books in a Series have the Number on the Spine.
    I don't own a lot of books/series that are numbered, and I don't generally care if the books are physically numbered, but when some are and some aren't... why bother. Have some consistency. 
  
5) (Most) Movie Tie-in Covers.
    Get that actor's face off my book. If it's scenery or something, that's fine. But keep the actors off the books.

6) Faces on Books.
    This kind of goes with the movie tie-in thing. I don't always like seeing faces on book covers. Like, real faces. Especially when it comes to fantasy, I care less when it comes to contemporary, but I have a different issue with those coves I'll get to. But I like using my imagination, and when you put a person's face on there, the cover model doesn't always match the character description. I don't mind digital art of people, those don't bother me at all.

7) 90% of Contemporary Romance covers. 
    If you have read any books from that genre, you might know what I'm talking about. But typically, these books have half-naked people all over the covers. I just don't find that the covers always fit the story being told. Sometimes CR books have discussions of loss and recovery. Sometimes they talk about mental health. But you'd never even get a hit of that from the headless shirtless man. I just think that publishers could at least try to be more clever with how they make covers for their books. There is a place for covers like that, just most of the time, it's just the standard cover for the genre.

8) People Who Dogear a Book That isn't Theirs.
    That is my number 1 bookish rule, Never dogear a book that isn't yours. People can do whatever they want to their own books. Write in them, dogear, and fold all the pages you want. Take it scuba diving if you wish. But if you mess up a book that is not yours, that you didn't spend your own money on... 
(It still hurts when I see people mistreat their own books)

9) Girl Hate Trope. 
    Can this trope be done too? It's tired, and it's not 2005 anymore. It was a more common thing back then, but these days women seem to care more for each other's well-being than in the mid-late 2000s. Back in the Mean Girls days

10) When People Shit-talk Books They Haven't Read.
    Not everybody will like every book. But there are people who will trash on books they haven't read. And that annoys me. It annoys me when it's books I do like, and books I don't like. It's often people jumping on a bandwagon when it becomes popular to hate something. 
 Example: I didn't really like the Twilight series. I ultimately thought it was kind of boring. A whole lot of nothing happened until the final 2 books, and the ending was 'meh'.  But the bandwagon of hating on that book and the kids who read them was extreme and uncalled for (The adult women who were fans of the books on the same level as their teenage daughters, weird. having a crush on a character that's a teenager is weird)
The flip of that is, the bandwagon of hate Sarah J. Maas gets is baffling. I like her books, they have flaws, but I like them. The thing(s) people often complain about the most is something that could have been avoided had her books not been marketed as YA, but Adult, or New Adult. And... that's not even her fault. She writes a book and the publishers decide what market they get. She can tell them all she wants that it's meant for a more adult audience, but if they think the book will sell better as a YA, they are going to push that. I don't know, it just irritates me. 
 If somebody wants to trash on a book, at least read it first.

7 comments:

  1. Girl hate drives me mad! It's not like I need every girl in fiction to like each other, but the pointless hating each other for no real reason is definitely something that belongs in the past. I also hate mid-series cover changes, movie tie-in covers and faces on book covers. Like you, I don't mind illustrated designs, but I don't like photos of models.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/10/05/top-ten-tuesday-336/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, books not the same height, the shirt-less man, forget it I am not even picking it up to see what it is about, numbers, please be consistent, and make sure whether it is numbered or not that somewhere it tells you it is part of a series. I hate picking up a book and realizing it is the second or third in a series. My link is here if you'd like to stop by: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/10/top-ten-tuesday-bookish-pet-peeves.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with so many of these! The overbearing alpha male, the romance covers, hating on books you haven't read,... And I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like faces on book covers!

    My TTT: https://www.traversingchapters.com/top-ten-most-annoying-bookish-pet-peeves-ttt/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to keep my opinions to myself about books I've never read. I don't think I have a right to bash a book, series, or author, if I've never read it. I just know I'm not interested in reading the book, and say that. I can't tell you anything about ACOTAR, just that I have no desire to read it.

    It's like people slamming genres, if you haven't read anything in that genre, leave it alone.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/going-to-the-dogs-12-books-with-dogs-on-the-cover/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the height thing is a definite issue. It just looks OFF if the books in a particular series have all different heights. Why can't they get this right in 2021 lol?

    Not a fan of tie- in covers either, they're almost always bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm seeing more and more books being trashed on the daily. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/my-middle-grade-book-recommendations/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed with that last for sure!

    Check out my TTT

    ReplyDelete