Translate

Sunday, October 3, 2021

Review: Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

Title:
 Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow
Author: Jessica Townsend
Series: Nevermoor #3
Genre: Middle Grade/Fantasy
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: February 4th, 2020
Edition: Kindle Edition, 560 pages
Source: Library






Synopsis:
   Morrigan Crow and her friends have survived their first year as proud scholars of the elite Wundrous Society, helped bring down the nefarious Ghastly Market, and proven themselves loyal to Unit 919. Now Morrigan faces a new, exciting challenge: to master the mysterious Wretched Arts of the Accomplished Wundersmith, and control the power that threatens to consume her.
   Meanwhile, a strange and frightening illness has taken hold of Nevermoor, turning infected Wunimals into mindless, vicious Unnimals on the hunt. As victims of the Hollowpox multiply, panic spreads. There are whispers - growing louder every day - that this catastrophe can only be the work of the Wundersmith, Ezra Squall.
   But inside the walls of Wunsoc, everyone knows there is a new Wundersmith - one who's much closer to home. With Nevermoor in a state of fear and the truth about Morrigan threatening to get out, the city she loves becomes the most perilous place in the world. Morrigan must try to find a cure for the Hollowpox, but it will put her - and everyone in Nevermoor - in more danger than she could have imagined.


**********


   I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I'm a little later getting to it than I had wanted to. I kept putting off reading this, at first it was because my library didn't have a kindle version to borrow, and I'm stubborn and didn't want to read the Epub version they had, then I just kept getting sidetracked with all the other books I wanted to read. But I'm glad I finally got around to reading it, it was amazing. Not what I was expecting exactly, but I liked the mystery and learning more about Wundersmiths alongside Morrigan. This book, if you really break it down, was really dark. And oddly topical. 

   I've seen some criticisms over the focus of this book being less the same kind of adventures they had in the first and second books, but I like that they brought the focus to a bit of the hidden history of Nevermoor. The history and the role Wundersmiths might have actually played. I hope Morrigan can get her hands on that book again, if you read this book, you know what book I'm talking about. 

   I really loved meeting the new characters in this book, and I really hope they play a larger role in the rest of the series. I loved seeing Morrigan grow closer to her Unit. I loved watching Morrigan get better at being a Wundersmith, and despite some of the criticisms I've seen, it made sense that she would become obsessed with her lessons.

   Fen remains my favorite character. Jupiter is still great, even though he wasn't in this book as much as the other two. I really liked learning a bit more about Miss. Cheery. There was a lot to love about this book, and the characters are one of my favorite things about this series. All the characters are so diverse, unique, and interesting. And the world becomes more fascinating the more I learn about it, and we get to learn about it alongside Morrigan.

   It's hard for me to not compare this to another book about another 11-year-old who was swept away from their terrible family and taken to a magical school. They are nothing alike beyond that, but I can't help but feel that this series feels more plotted out than that other one. That everything that happens is intentional and will serve a purpose later. And I just want this series to get the same love the other one got because there aren't any glaring plot holes that I've seen. This series has the makings to be something fantastic for generations to come. Loveable characters, an interesting world, and a villain that is more morally grey than straight-up evil.  Morally grey villains are more compelling, in my opinion, and can have a greater impact than a black and white scenario.

I am very much looking forward to the fourth book, I can't wait to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment