Translate

Sunday, April 25, 2021

ARC Review: Odin's Child by Siri Pettersen

Title:
 Odin's Child
Author: Siri Pettersen
Series: The Raven Rings #1
Genre: Adult Fantasy/Mythology/Adventure
Publisher: Arctis
Publication Date: March 23, 2021
Edition: 519 pages, Kindle Edition
Source: NetGalley






Synopsis:
15-year-old Hirka has always been an outsider in the world of Ym: she’s the only person without a tail, and the only one unable to access the Might, a current of power that runs through the earth.
   Her differences become more and more of a concern as the date approaches for the Rite—the ceremony where everyone is to be blessed by the all-knowing Seer and the Council of powerful families who rule in His name. With only a few weeks until the Rite, Hirka discovers the shocking secret behind why she is tailless and Mightless: she is not from this world. As an infant, she was brought through an ancient stone circle known as a Raven Ring, and as long as she’s in Ym, the passageway between worlds remains open inviting terrifying creatures called the blind to follow.
   No one can know the truth of Hirka’s identity, especially
not Rime, her childhood friend who just might become something more. But is Rime is hiding secrets of his own?




   I want to start this review by mentioning that it's a translated book from Norway. I haven't read much translated work but this is in the top 10 of best books I have ever read.

   Reviewing this book is kind of tricky in the sense that a lot happens in this book very quickly. There's a somewhat large cast of characters, but they are easy to differentiate. I didn't have the time I wish I had to just sit and read this book, so it took me longer than I would have liked. This book is very fast-paced, so when I was able to I'd fly through chapters. 

   Hirka is a great character. I loved everything about her character. She is so selfless and cares deeply for the wellbeing of others, even often those who would do her harm. She goes through so much in this book. And her path is very heartbreaking. I am excited and worried about where her path leads her in the rest of the series.

   Rime is a very interesting and complex character as well. There were moments when I was less interested in where his story was headed, and just wanted to get back to Hirka. But as I got to know his character more, the more I wished he had more page time. His path was very interesting and I wasn't sure where it was headed, and I wasn't expecting it to end up where it did. I hope he's part of the rest of the series.

   Urd, as an antagonist wasn't what I was expecting him to be. At times he was what could be called a "typical" antagonist, but his methods were more hands-on than most I've seen in books. He wasn't above getting his hands dirty, and he often preferred it to make sure things went according to plans, and only used outside help when he couldn't take care of it himself. My only small gripe is a spoiler, so I don't know how to address it.

   The way things were wrapped up, felt a little rushed to me. But maybe that is just how it was paced to set things up for the sequel, which I am very excited and anxious to read. I have no idea where things are headed from here, or if Hirka will ever make it back "home". I hope she does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment