Translate

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

ARC Review: Curse of the Celts by Clara O'Connor

Title:
 Curse of the Celts
Author: Clara O'Connor
Series: The Once and Future Queen #2
Genre: Fantasy/New Adult/Alternate History
Publisher: HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter
Publication Date: March 18th, 2021
Edition: Kindle Edition 
Source: NetGalley







Synopsis:
You are accused of crimes against the Code. How do you plead?
   After failing to escape the Roman metropolis of Londinium with Devyn, her lover, and Marcus, her betrothed, Cassandra wakes in inky darkness to find the ground giving way to sand beneath her feet.
   All three of them have been carted back to the notorious arena at the heart of the city to stand trial by public vote. Cass knows they must escape at any cost: to warn the Celts of the mysterious blood curse ravaging their kin, to foil the schemes of the imperial council…
To find the fabled Lady of the Lake, the one who could save them all.
   But even as the jaws of death close in around her, another threat looms in the shadows, a danger she never could have foreseen, a betrayal that could burn down her entire world.



   This is a fantastic sequel. I was on edge through most of the book. Cassandra, Devyn, and Marcus are on the run. And it was pretty intense for a good portion. There were a few moments that made me kind of annoyed at the characters and a little at the plot. Somethings felt just a little too, convoluted and melodramatic at times. The "I love you and want to be with you" to "No, we can't be together." often in the same scene got a little tiring. Especially with how things ended. 

   I loved all the expanded worldbuilding in this book. Seeing the world outside the walls of the Empire. The empire came across as really sterile and bland. The rest of the continent felt more vibrant. 

   There were several reveals in this book, and I didn't expect most of them, one was something I was suspected but wasn't sure about, and one did surprise me at first, but after thinking about it for this review I could see some of the foreshadowings. I knew something big would have to happen because there is a whole third book to go, but I wasn't sure what it would be.

   There were a number of new characters introduced in this book that I look forward to learning more about in the next book. And I am both excited and nervous for the third and final book.

   The ending of this book is a massive cliffhanger, and it was something that I was not expecting and is the thing that makes me very nervous for the third book.
Upside, there's a recipe at the back of the book for Griddle Cakes that I'm thinking of trying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment