Translate

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Book Beginnings | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop | The Conductors by Nicole Glover

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


Synopsis:
   As a conductor on the Underground Railroad, Hetty Rhodes helped usher dozens of people north with her wits and magic. Now that the Civil War is over, Hetty and her husband Benjy have settled in Philadelphia, solving murders and mysteries that the white authorities won’t touch. When they find one of their friends slain in an alley, Hetty and Benjy bury the body and set off to find answers. But the secrets and intricate lies of the elites of Black Philadelphia only serve to dredge up more questions. To solve this mystery, they will have to face ugly truths all around them, including the ones about each other.





Book Beginning:
May 1871
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

When the wagon rolled into view, Hetty took another small step along the tree branch.


Friday 56:
Late Spring 1863
Great Dismal Swamp, Virginia

With a child clinging to her back and her pistol empty of all its bullets, Hetty returned to the village just as the sun started to set.





---------

Book Blogger Hop
Click here to add your link

Q: Do you read books that have an autumn theme?

            A: As a mood reader, not really. Sometimes I read books that give me a "vibe" for the season.

-------------------------

Bonus:
Best/Worst Book of September


Best

Meh

7 comments:

  1. That cover is absolutely stunning! I think I'd pick The Conductors up just for that.
    Cora | https://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I really want to read this book now!

    My Book Blogger Hop (along with my Book Beginnings on Fridays and Friday 56):

    https://steppingstonesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2020/10/book-beginnings-on-fridaysfriday-56.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great snippets and gorgeous cover. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE TRUTH ABOUT MELODY BROWNE”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those two excerpts say so much in so few words. That opening! Is she up in a tree? If so, I hope she doesn't fall. I really want to read The Conductors also. I have it on my wish list.

    I am very much a mood reader too. There are certain genres I gravitate more towards during certain times of year, but I don't know that they specifically have themes related to the season they may fall in. Sometimes I do enjoy reading Halloween themed books around this time of year. I guess that kind of counts.

    That's too bad about Bardugo's book. I haven't read that one, but it looks tempting. I am glad The Burning God turned out to be a great read for you though!

    I hope you enjoy your weekend, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same, a mood reader! Although I do feel like more and more paranormal books in the month of October!
    Hope you enjoy reading it!
    Here's my Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hetty sounds fierce!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a really interesting book :) Since most of the books I read are for review, I sometimes get seasonally appropriate reads because of when the publishers pitch them, but the books I get from the library I just read when I finally get them. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete