Translate

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Review: Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff

Title: Godsgrave
Author: Jay Kristoff
Series: The Nevernight Chronicle #2
Genre: Fantasy/Adult/Magic
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: September 5th, 2017
Edition: Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Source: Library



Synopsis:
  Assassin Mia Corvere has found her place among the Blades of Our Lady of Blessed Murder, but many in the Red Church ministry think she’s far from earned it. Plying her bloody trade in a backwater of the Republic, she’s no closer to ending Consul Scaeva and Cardinal Duomo, or avenging her familia. And after a deadly confrontation with an old enemy, Mia begins to suspect the motives of the Red Church itself.
  When it’s announced that Scaeva and Duomo will be making a rare public appearance at the conclusion of the grand games in Godsgrave, Mia defies the Church and sells herself to a gladiatorial collegium for a chance to finally end them. Upon the sands of the arena, Mia finds new allies, bitter rivals, and more questions about her strange affinity for the shadows. But as conspiracies unfold within the collegium walls, and the body count rises, Mia will be forced to choose between loyalty and revenge, and uncover a secret that could change the very face of her world.

Review: 

Well, first off. What the hell Jay Kristoff?
Second. Thank the Dark Mother I don't have to wait long to read the next book. Maybe a couple weeks, but not the nearly 2 years everybody else had to wait.

Ok... so. This book was way more intense than the first one. It honestly gave me anxiety more than once for how things were going to go. And there will be mild spoilers for the first book, so keep that in mind.

Mia in this book is much more of a badass. She is less cocky in many ways, but also more sure of herself. She knows her limits better, and what she is willing to do to get what she needs taken care of. The mystery of what being a Darkin means still evades her, and I while I like that it hasn't been spelled out for me, I also want to know more as well. I feel just as lost as she does on the subject.

The gladiator setting. I loved it. I love almost everything about this book, except Ashlinn. And not because of the romance, exactly. I didn't like it because Ash is the least trustworthy person, in the entire series. I just don't understand how or why Mia would/could trust Ash as much as she did considering. Not only did she kill Tric, but she and her brother tried to frame Mia for the murder of a fellow Acolyte. Sure, you could argue that it was more Ashlinn's brother than Ashlinn... but still. She was still an accomplice and went along with it.

I am a little on the fence about the ending. Mostly because I hate that I have to wait. Granted I did put it on hold with my Library, so I can read it the moment it's available... but DUUUUUDE... what is happening in the last book. I am ANXIOUS to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment