Translate

Monday, January 14, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: New-to-Me Authors I Read In 2018

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
And moved to That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.


I'm only using books/authors that I gave at least 3 stars to. 3.5 is my average star rating on Goodreads, So anything lower than 3-stars is a book I didn't really care for and pointless to share.
Authors are listed in the order they were read and linked to my review of the book.

The first book I started and finished last year was a contemporary romance. But it was a less smutty romance, and it was nice. It followed the tropes that I like, that feature healthy romantic relationships. This was book one in a companion series, titled "Dax", after the male love interest.

This author hardly needs an introduction, but on the off-chance, you haven't heard of her, she wrote my favorite book from last year, Children of Blood and Bone. I called it less than 15% into the book that it was going to be the best book of the year, and it was. I got an eARC from NetGalley very early in the year, so my review is very limited because I didn't want to spoil anything. 

Another NetGalley book, I get about 70% of my books from there, and it's where I tend to find most of the New-to-me authors. I wasn't sure if I was going to like Wintersong, and I ended up liking it way more than I thought I would.

So, kind of cheating with this one. The book in question, Song of Blood and Stone, was first released 4 years ago, and I read it then first, and she was a new-to-me author at that time as well. The book has also gone through some revisions since then. I noticed some mild changes when I read it again last year.

Another Contemporary Romance that was a nice refreshing book in the genre. Another one that has healthy relationships, and characters who respect each other. 

The second debut author on here, and another author I found through NetGalley. Sky in the Deep was such a fantastic read. I can't wait to read more books by this author.

Fairytale retellings are a favorite of mine, and Owl Eyes took the tale of Cinderella and pulled story elements from before the Disney dumped sugar on the tale, and before Grimm Brothers added their sprinkling of sugar. This is a retelling of Cinderella I want more of, and I really hope there is some kind of continuation, things were a little more open-ended than I like.

I read the three books of the Fairytale Galaxy Chronicles back to back. And as I mentioned above, I am a sucker for fairy tale retellings and this series delivers. I was sent, via ebook, by the publisher for review. And I can't wait to read more. Fairytales, but in space.

Two things, Dragons, and a YA with ZERO romance. In the first book at least. It's told in dual perspective, Lila and Danu, and while he once remarks that she is beautiful, it's in his mind and more of a descriptor of what kind of leader she is, than him being attracted to her. I haven't read the rest of the series, so I don't know if anything develops. But the important thing is Dragons.

While I did finish The Savior's Champion in January, I stared and read most of it at the end of December, and I found her writing channel on Youtube last year. So I'm counting it.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these authors! I'm glad that you enjoyed them so much though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked Sky in the Deep and Wintersong. I haven't read any of the books on your list (yet), but I picked up both of the books I mentioned when they were on sale and hopefully I'll read them in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried any of these authors yet. I'm glad you liked them, though! Will you be trying a similar number of new authors this year?

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Molly Lazer sounds like she'd be right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation.

    This is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomi Adeyemi was on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/top-ten-tuesday-194/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these authors, although I did read a lot of new ones last year. Here's hoping we both find lots more authors to love in 2019!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete