Translate

Friday, January 19, 2018

Review: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (Mild spoilers)

Title: Children of Blood and Bone
Author: Tomi Adeyemi
Series: Legacy of Orïsha #1
Genre: Fantasy/ Magic/ Cultural
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Publishing Group/Henry Holt and Co.
Publication Date: March 6th, 2018
Edition: Kindle Edition, 448 pages
Source: NetGalley
Purchase/Pre-Order: Amazon US | Kobo | Barnes & NobleiBooks | BAM





Synopsis:
Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zelie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls. 
But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were targeted and killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.
Now, Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good. 
Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for the enemy.


This. Book. Is. Amazing.

The writing is amazing. The characters are amazing. The setting is just, so... amazing. There is very little I have to complain about with this book, and I read an uncorrected proof. It's not really a fault, but I'm not really sure how to pronounce most of the names in this book. 

The way the story flowed, the way things knitted together. I really wish I had the sequel already. With how this book ended, I need it. I want to know what that ending means, I want to know what really happened to Inan, because I don't fully accept that ending, what Zélie's mother meant about what's coming. The foreboding feeling that she felt when she saw the white streak in Amari's hair. What's going to happen to the rest of the Maji. 

I am really struggling to talk about this book without some minor spoilers. I'm talking about characters whose fate is, as far as I'm concerned, up in the air and mentioning that means that I'm letting you know to a degree, their role in the story.

Just give me a time machine so I can go into the future to read the sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment