Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Bulk Review: Manga Pt4

So much for reading the books I own this year. I have been, but slowly. Manga has just been very easy to read, it feels like less of a commitment than a full-length novel or a long series. And life has been stressful this past year. Had a lot of stuff happen, a lot that hasn't been great. So manga has been what my brain has wanted to read. 

I've read a fair amount of Manga since my last bulk review. I did mean to make this post sooner, I just kept forgetting to. So there might be more in this post than there were in previous ones.



Mao by Rumiko Takahashi, Vol. 2 - 10 (Read June 6 - August 12)

This series is a lot of fun. It has a nostalgia to it that I think is connected to InuYasha. The art style is the same (makes sense it's the same author/artist), the story beats in some ways are also similar. Not a bad thing, she just has tropes she likes to use and uses them. The characters are more varied in this series. In some aspects they are more complex. The time travel aspect makes a little less sense. The time Nanoka spends in the past isn't same amount of time that passes in the present, and it varies. She could be gone in the past for says and only minutes or hours pass in her time, or she'll be gone for an hour in the past and a 2 weeks will have passed in her time, and other times the same amount of time passes. I am curious where this story is headed. It is hard not to compare it to InuYasha, but I try not to. It is, and it isn't the same world. It's still Japan, and the FMC is traveling to a past version of Japan, and there are demons. But it's not the same Japan and same Japan past.

******

InuYasha by Rumiko Takahashi, (VizBig Omnibus series) Vol. 1 - 6 (Read June 13 - August 11)
 
This has been a fun series reading after years of just watching the anime. There are some story beats that were moved around, likely for story flow. And the story feels like it's moving faster in the manga than it does in the anime. What I like more about the manga so far is that it's far more clear in the manga that InuYasha has survivor's guilt when it comes to Kikyo, and Kikyo is a little less bitter towards InuYasha in the manga than she is in the anime. I don't know why they did that to her character. If it was just to add conflict for Kagome, that's a really lazy way. She's still sad and a little jealous in the manga with out Kikyo being bitter after learning of Naraku. 
 
******

The Apothecary Diaries by Natsu Hyuuga, Vol. 2 - 4 (Read June 20 - July 22)

I love this series the most. Maomao is a fantastic protagonist. She's smart, she's hilarious. She's a little bit insane. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this series. I also keep rewatching the anime. Which doesn't help that I'm reading the manga at the moment, it makes talking about just the manga difficult. But so far the manga is being adapted flawlessly. Nothing is being shifted around. If anything, the foreshadowing of events that end up being super important later are woven in a touch better in the anime.

******
 
Witch Hat Atelier by Kamome Shirahama, Vol. 12 (Read August 1st)

This is another series that I am continuously excited to read. It has a lot of dark content, but also has this charming wholesomeness to it. Coco is a protagonist that doesn't have all the answers, but she's never shy to ask for help when she knows she needs to. It's a good message to send, that it's better to ask for help than to try and do everything on your own to prove something. Qifery is a great teacher, he is doing his best to let Coco and the other trainees know they can always come to him when they need help. There's also some gray area to the motives of some of the characters. At times I'm not sure if there's anyone who's completely in the wrong. I'm also very excited that this was picked up to be made into a an anime. I am so excited to watch it when it comes out, I think next year.


******


The other series where I watched the anime first. Frieren is hands down one of the best stories I have ever consumed. The characters, the story, everything is damn near flawless. This is something that I think if you want to read/watch it go to in blind. It's funny and wholesome at the same time. All the characters are charming.


******






No comments:

Post a Comment