Translate

Monday, April 3, 2023

Review: Age of War by Michael J. Sullivan

Title:
Age of Swords
Author: Michael J. Sullivan
Series: The Legends of the First Empire #2
Genre: Epic Fantasy/Adventure
Publisher: Del Rey
Publication Date: July 25, 2017
Edition: 504 pages, Kindle Edition
Source: Library 

----------



Synopsis:
    The alliance of humans and renegade Fhrey is fragile—and about to be tested as never before. Persephone keeps the human clans from turning on one another through her iron will and a compassionate heart. The arrogant Fhrey are barely held in check by their leader, Nyphron, who seeks to advance his own nefarious agenda through a loveless marriage that will result in the betrayal of the person Persephone loves most: Raithe, the God Killer.
    As the Fhrey overlords marshal their army and sorcerers to crush the rebellion, old loyalties will be challenged while fresh conspiracies will threaten to undo all that Persephone has accomplished. In the darkest hour, when hope is all but lost, new heroes will rise . . . but at what terrible cost?

   Rich in magic and adventure, Michael J. Sullivan’s soaring fantasy novels are masterworks of heroism, love, and sacrifice. Now, in Age of War, the epic battle between humankind and the cruel godlike beings who once ruled them finally ignites in all its fury.

************************************


This is my favorite so far in the series. The emotional highs and lows of this book had made it hard to put the book down. Although the first third of this book was a touch slow compared to the rest of the book.
 
I was anxious to read this book, with where things left off in the previous book, and with a war looming it left me wondering who was going to make it. There were a few who I kind of new who were going to make it out fine, but for the ones I was unsure about I was nervous for. There are character deaths  that surprised me, and this book did make me cry at the end with one character death in particular. I wasn't expecting it and it got to me. 

While a lot happens in this book, 90% of the book is a battle, so it's a lot of mayhem that's not all that note worthy. But a shining outlier is Gifford's role in this book. I am so excited for where his character is headed, I hope it's somewhere amazing. 

Nyphron, I hate him. I really hope there's some kind of reparations for all he's done. I have a feeling that it's not going to be exactly what he deserves, but something needs to happen to him, something bad. 
 
There is a sense of finality to this book, even with there being three more books in the series. But there are also some lose threads and characters that are left with some questions to be answered. 

I haven't  had to put any of these books on hold at that library, so I'm trying to remember to write my reviews before I read the next book but it's been a struggle to do that because I just want to keep reading. This is a series that I will want to own copies of for my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment