Translate

Thursday, April 13, 2023

Review: Age of Legend by Michael J. Sullivan

Title:
Age of Legend
Author: Michael J. Sullivan
Series: Legends of the First Empire #4
Genre: High Fantasy
Publisher: Riyria Enterprises, LLC
Publication Date: July 9, 2019
Edition: 361 pages, Kindle Edition
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | BAM | Bookshop | Powell's | Thriftbooks
 
 
 
 
 
Synopsis:
   After years of warfare, humanity has gained the upper hand and has pushed the Fhrey to the edge of their homeland, but no farther. Now comes the pivotal moment. Persephone’s plan to use the stalemate to seek peace is destroyed by an unexpected betrayal that threatens to hand victory to the Fhrey and leaves a dear friend in peril. Her only hope lies in the legend of a witch, a forgotten song, and a simple garden door.
   New York Times Bestseller • USA Today Bestseller • Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Best FantasyEach culture has its own myths and legends, but only one is shared, and it is feared by all.
With Age of Myth, Age of Swords, and New York Times bestselling Age of War, fantasy master Michael J. Sullivan riveted readers with a tale of unlikely heroes locked in a desperate battle to save mankind. 


*******************************

After being emotionally wrecked by the ending of the previous book, I was excited to see what else I'd be put through.
I really love this series and these characters. There is so much more to this world than we get, everything seems to be very self-contained and "small" right now. I look at the map, and wonder what is going on elsewhere. I hope and suspect that I'll find out eventually. 

This book was a bit of a roller-coaster. The book starts shortly after the battle at the end of the previous book, and spans six years of war. I wasn't sure how that was going to work, I read other books that did something similar and character progression didn't make sense or wasn't consistent. That wasn't an issue in this book at all. All the characters are in a place that makes sense.
 
   Suri is a character I am deeply invested in. She might be my favorite character in this series. She's one of the younger characters but she also seems to have the most wisdom out of everybody, even many of the Fhrey who might argue they're smarter because of their long lives. But I think that just makes them even more unaware of what's going on around them.

Tressa, her character is interesting. I didn't expect her character to have this kind of role at this point in the series. I almost expected her character to be a one-off in book one, then maybe die and have no role at some point later in the series. But she's become a very important character and I am excited to see what's done with her character in the next book. 
 
Persephone, dear sweet Persephone. I really hope her sacrifices aren't going to be in vain but I suspect they will be. Even in this book her deeds are being over looked by those outside their camp and credit is given to Nyphron. (I still hate him by the way)
She has given up so much, I just hope that she gets to have some happy years with her son. 
 
There are so many characters that play such a large role in this book it's hard to cover all of them and avoid spoilers. I just hope none of them have a tragic death.

No comments:

Post a Comment