Translate

Monday, May 30, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: Comfort Reads || Books I Like to Re-read

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
Now, hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.
 
 The books I chose to read, are precisely to 'escape'. I have a fair amount of anxiety, and reading is the main way I cope with it. It's why the vast majority of the books I read are fantasy, though I do read romance from time to time but those aren't typically books that I use to escape. Some of these books are ones I have yet to re-read, because I either don't own them or I just haven't made time to yet.
This list isn't in any particular order.
 *****
 
 
 
   Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor - I really want to get around to reading this again. I love this trilogy so much. The characters, the magic of the world. The themes... I love all of it.
 
   Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice - Long time favorite, it's been a while since I've read it. It's just one of those books, that since it's been a favorite book since I was about 12/13 I will always like it. (still haven't continued the series)

   Sweet series by Wendy Higgins - This series is a little cliche, yes. But there's just something about it that is also really endearing. The characters are actually layered, except the antagonists but that can be overlooked because of who/what they are.

   Yona of the Dawn by Mizuho Kusanagi - This is becoming a comfort read, now I just need to start collecting the volumes. Reading them through the library is hard because of how much waiting is involved for each volume.

   Nevermoor by Jessica Townsend - This book has awakened my love for middle-grade in my heart. Reading the first book in this series gave me the same whimsical magical feeling I got the first time I read Harry Potter. 

   Legend trilogy by Marie Lu - At the height of YA Dystopian, this was the one for me that stood above the rest. This book gave perspective to the harm a corrupt government does to everybody. This series also doesn't act like the continental US is the only place that is struggling in a changed political climate. It doesn't go into detail, but it does acknowledge what is going on everywhere. None of the others that were popular at the time did that.

   Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas - I am fully aware that there are people who hate this author, that's is perfectly valid, her writing and characters would never be called complex. But, this series is one of the series that got me back into reading as an adult. So, I still like it. Even being aware of the flaws.
 
   The Bone Season series by Samantha Shannon -  This feels like one of those "cusp" books between YA and Adult. Honestly that category should be used for more than romance books about people in college. This book was so good, and came to me when I was starting to get burned out with the type of Fantasy books I was reading. It was like a breath of fresh air.

11 comments:

  1. I've had Laini Taylor rec'd a bunch of times, and Nevermoor sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevermoor is a book series I am keen to get into! May have to pre-read before trying it with my daughter!
    These are the authors to whom I have found myself turning for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I read a few Sarak Maas's book and not sure why I stopped.

    My TTT
    https://seriesbooklover.wordpress.com/2022/05/31/top-ten-tuesday-my-top-ten-comfort-reads/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Throne of Glass series, my favourite by Sarah J Maas. I have had Daughter of Smoke and Bone on my TBR for so long, I really need to get round to reading it.

    My TTT list https://louisesreadingcorner.com/top-ten-tuesdays-comfort-reads/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list, I like your spin on this week's prompt. And you listed some great series I re-read regularly (Throne of Glass) or will probably re-read in audio, when I'm done reading the entire series, or if a prequel, sequel or novella comes out :)

    Here is my TTT: https://herseriallife.com/top-10-comfort-reads-books-escape/

    Have a great week 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read A Throne of Glass series at some point!

    Have a great week.

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/05/31/top-ten-tuesday-comfort-reads/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed the Throne of Glass series, though I've since kind of gone off Sarah J Maas' books. I also really like The Bone Season series, though I've still yet to finish The Mask Falling.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/05/31/top-ten-tuesday-370/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a grate list. I read so many of these books. I love Daughter of Smoke and Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't often reread books, but Interview with the Vampire is so good. I'd suggest you read Lestat and The Queen of the Damned, maybe Tale of the Body Thief. But after that? Eh.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes yes, I love Nevermoor. Definitely a comfort read for me πŸ’œ I've been planning to re-read the DoSAB trilogy this year at some point. I remember loving it before. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nevermoor is the perfect comfort read series!!

    Here's my list for this week: http://leahs-books.com/2022/05/31/ttt-comfort-reads/

    ReplyDelete