Translate

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Top Ten Tuesday: Books With Your Favorite Trope/Theme - Retellings

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
Now, hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.
 
I took last week off because I had a lot going on.
   I am a sucker for a good retelling. If I hear that a book is a retelling of a fairytale or folktale that heightens the likelihood of me reading it.
 It helps if I know the story that's being retold, but it's not important, just adds to the enjoyment for me.


**********

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
Retelling : Vasilisa the Beautiful
 
 
*****
Retelling : Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

*****
Retelling : Sleeping Beauty and Wild Swans

*****

The Boneless Mercies by April Genevieve Tucholke
Retelling : Beowulf
Retelling : Aladdin
Retelling : Wild Swans
Retelling : Lady of the Lake/King Arthur

*****

Sea Witch by Sarah Henning
Retelling : Little Mermaid
Retelling : Chang’e, the Chinese moon Goddess

3 comments:

  1. I find retellings are very much hit or miss for me, for example, the two that I've read on your list, The Bear and The Nightingale & Sea Witch were both misses for me. However, ones I've enjoyed have been Heartless by Marissa Meyer (an origin story for the Queen of Hearts) & Fawkes by Nadine Brandes (a historical retelling of the Gunpowder plot).
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2022/03/08/top-ten-tuesday-358/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic for a post. I've read a few retellings, but not many. The Lunar Chronicles comes to mind.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to look up The Heartless City! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete