Translate

Friday, November 5, 2021

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I wanted to read this in October for the Halloween season, but I just didn't get around to it. This novella is the Vampire story that inspired Dracula. I didn't really care for Dracula when I read it in college, but I am curious about this one. And it's a novella, I was thinking of doing some kind of "Novella November" already, so this works out for that. 
*****
Synopsis:
   In an isolated castle deep in the Austrian forest, teenaged Laura leads a solitary life with only her father, attendant and tutor for company. Until one moonlit night, a horse-drawn carriage crashes into view, carrying an unexpected guest -- the beautiful Carmilla.
   So begins a feverish friendship between Laura and her entrancing new companion, one defined by mysterious happenings and infused with an implicit but undeniable eroticism. As Carmilla becomes increasingly strange and volatile, prone to eerie nocturnal wanderings, Laura finds herself tormented by nightmares and growing weaker by the day.


**********




Book Beginning:
In Styria, we, though by no means magnificent people, inhabit a castle, or Schloss. A small income, in that part of the world, goes a great way.

Friday 56:
Carmilla was leaning on her hand dejectedly; Madame and I were listening breathlessly.









**********

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: What is your least favorite social media app and why? 

A: I have accounts with a lot of social media platforms, but I don't really use any of them. In a lot of ways, they're all bad. I'm old enough to remember a time before Social Media, and while there are a great many benefits to it when it comes to connecting people around the world, there's also a lot of toxic behavior on all of them. Which is one reason why I don't use them often. 


5 comments:

  1. Now I am curious! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “FORGIVE ME”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious for more! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use them for my book reviews and to get book news.

    My least favorite social media is Twitter....I never can find replies. :)

    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a love hate relationship with many social media platforms. check out my blog to see which one I have the biggest issue with http://www.readinggrrl.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of these days I'm going to have to read this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete