Translate

Thursday, July 1, 2021

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || Beyond The Grave (The Ministry of Curiosities #3) by C.J. Archer

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

This is a series I really want to continue. I have the whole series, as like a "box set" of Ebooks. So the typical reason to not finish the series doesn't apply to me. I have a really bad habit of not reading books I already own, but borrowing books from the library or requesting books from NetGalley. I also put pressure on myself to read the ones I get from NetGalley as quickly as possible, when I don't know if it really matters all that much. I think I just need to slow down. I hope I get to this one soon...
Also, the "56" part of this one is a guess, since it is a "boxset" of ebooks and it's just one continuous Ebook.. thing, this is the third book and it stars at the 20% mark, so... I'm guessing.

Synopsis:
   At the request of Lady Harcourt, Charlie and Lincoln begin searching for her missing stepson. Still recovering from her ordeal at the hands of a diabolical villain, Charlie is supposed to be resting. But resting is dull, so she throws herself into the task at hand, much to Lincoln's frustration.
   The search leads them down a dark path littered with family secrets and titillating scandal. Using her necromancy to expose those secrets, Charlie unwittingly raises a spirit with the power to override her control. With a dead body on the loose in London, Charlie and Lincoln must work together to send it back before havoc is unleashed, and the committee members find out.
   Because if they do, they will have more ammunition in their fight to send Charlie away from her home and everyone she loves.





Book Beginning:
London, Autumn 1889
Lincoln Fitzroy was an excellent kisser. 


Friday 56:
I did my best not to hobble or limp and discovered my foot didn't hurt much. Perhaps I could dispense with the walking stick altogether.









*   *   *   *   *

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: Have you ever searched out theme songs for your favorite books? 

A: I've never really thought about it. 


*   *   *   *   *
Best and Worst Books read in June
~*~*~

Best
★★★★★



"worst"
★★★☆☆
~*~*~

This was hard, I read two fantastic books in June, Iron Widow, and Rage of Dragons. Both were very unique in their own way. I only went with Rage, because I am still gathering all my thoughts on Iron Widow, and I wanted to provide a review link. I did very recently finish it. But I'd say they are tied as far as overall enjoyment goes.
And I don't want anyone to think that Blackbringer was a bad book in any way, it just didn't draw me in the way other books my her have. And I have read I think all her other work. 





7 comments:

  1. I'm always introduced to amazing books and series on your blogs! This sounds like a lot of fun and the opening has me wonder just what went down in the previous books. I'll definitely be looking this one up! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great opening!! *blushing* Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was it that made you NOT like Blackbringer? I used to have this book in my library, though I never read it. And I really enjoyed two other series by the same author: Strange the Dreamer and the Gods and monsters one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go into more detail in my review, the dialog was hard to follow because the characters talk in a kind of "old english" way.

      Delete
  4. Beyond the Grave sounds fun. I love that first line. I will have to look for that series. I'm in a similar position with books I already own. I am glad to hear you enjoyed Iron Widow. I really want to read that one. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete