Translate

Monday, May 31, 2021

Review: A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas

Title:
 A Court of Silver Flames
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #4
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: February 16th, 2021
Edition: Kindle Edition, 757 pages
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | BAM | Book Depository | Powell's






Synopsis:
   Nesta Archeron has always been prickly-proud, swift to anger, and slow to forgive. And ever since being forced into the Cauldron and becoming High Fae against her will, she's struggled to find a place for herself within the strange, deadly world she inhabits. Worse, she can't seem to move past the horrors of the war with Hybern and all she lost in it.
   The one person who ignites her temper more than any other is Cassian, the battle-scarred warrior whose position in Rhysand and Feyre's Night Court keeps him constantly in Nesta's orbit. But her temper isn't the only thing Cassian ignites. The fire between them is undeniable, and only burns hotter as they are forced into close quarters with each other.
   Meanwhile, the treacherous human queens who returned to the Continent during the last war have forged a dangerous new alliance, threatening the fragile peace that has settled over the realms. And the key to halting them might very well rely on Cassian and Nesta facing their haunting pasts.
   Against the sweeping backdrop of a world seared by war and plagued with uncertainty, Nesta and Cassian battle monsters from within and without as they search for acceptance-and healing-in each other's arms.


  This is the first book I've finished reading in a while, my borrow for The Well of Ascension timed out so I had to put it back on hold. This is why I like easily accessible fantasy. 

  I was unsure if I was going to read this installment of the series. I wasn't sure if I cared enough to read more. But learning it was about Nesta, I was intrigued. Nesta's journey in the Fae Realms is far more interesting than Feyre's. There's a lot of hate for Feyre, but her story and journey just weren't as interesting. Granted, it's been a while since I read that series, especially the first book. I might do a re-read at some point. 

Anyway, Nesta was one of my favorite side characters from the first half of the series, and after her transformation in the cauldron, I wanted to know where she'd go from there. And I really loved her progression through this book. She starts at a very low place, which is believable and understandable. 

She has to learn to accept her new body, her new self, find her own path. Learn to forgive herself and to acknowledge the hurt she caused others. And not only does she, but she also forges a way for others to find themselves again. There is actually a really great story in this book about self-acceptance and forgiveness. 

It's just woven through the classic smut that Maas is accustomed to writing. And I know a lot of people don't like it, and that's fine. Skim past those parts, you aren't missing out on any of the actual plot, the romance does play a part in her path to forgiving herself and accepting herself, but the details of their more smutty parts aren't needed. They bond over real things, both have to learn to accept themselves, and a bit of forgiveness. They just also have a lot of sex while doing it.

I actually find myself interested in the next book and am curious if it's going to follow Elain, since her role is still unclear, as is her magic. I really hope she gets an arc and isn't left being a bland background character. 

1 comment:

  1. I am dying for Elain's book! I just have to know what's going to happen there. So I hope she'd not just left as a background character!

    ReplyDelete