Translate

Thursday, April 29, 2021

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || Daughter of Lies and Ruin (Tales of the Blackbone Witches #2) by Jo Spurrier

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


 Synopsis:
   There's something strange brewing in this tinder-dry forest - a girl with a sword and a secret, a troupe of vicious bandits vanished without a trace, beasts that don't belong and a witch with a macabre plan.
   Elodie hasn't been learning witchcraft for long, but she knows enough to be worried, and the fact that her mentor Aleida wants to pack up and leave in short order isn't helping to settle her nerves.
   Elodie just hopes to get everyone out of this mess unharmed, but it's looking more unlikely with every passing hour. And when the strange witch's ire falls on her, Aleida's wrath sparks a fire that threatens to scorch the earth itself.




Book Beginning:
   A man stood in the dappled shade in the middle of the road. He wore a leather hat pulled down low to shade his eyes and a printed kerchief tied around his neck.


Friday 56:
   She was heading back towards the rocks, not to the witch's den, which lay miles away to the north. I suspected what she meant to do, and I wanted no part of it.








*   *   *   *   *
Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: What are some common tropes you've seen in a genre you like to read? Are there any books you've read that reverse or change those tropes? 

A:  'Enemies to Lovers' is a favorite. I don't know of any that have a 'Lovers to Enemies' trope... let me know if there are, I'd love to read that.
(I mean, if you want to stretch it, I guess Shadow and Bone has that trope, kind of)

*   *   *   *   *

Favorite and Least favorite reads of April

Favorite
★★★★★


Meh
★★☆☆☆
2.5ish

6 comments:

  1. Very intriguing opening. I can't decide if the man is a villain or a friend. I guess I'd have to read on. My book this week is Saving My Enemy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is beautiful, but for some reason the use of shade as a noun in the first sentence and shade as a verb in the second made me stumble.

    Lovers-to-enemies trope would be fascinating. The conflict could take so many directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very mysterious! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “FALLOUT”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wicked read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to look into this series. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daughter of Lies and Ruin sounds so good! I hope you are enjoying it. I'm so glad you loved Odin's Child. I have been eyeing that one.

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete