Translate

Friday, March 19, 2021

Review: Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

Title:
 The Final Empire
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: Mistborn #1
Genre: Science Fiction Fantasy
Publisher: Tor Books
Publication Date: July 17th, 2006
Edition: Kindle Edition, 676 pages
Source: Library





Synopsis:
   In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with color once more?



   It took me far longer to get to this book than it should have. I read The Reckoners first as my introduction to Sanderson, and while I really liked that series, a few issues aside, apparently most Sanderson fans just think it's okay at best. But I took my time getting to this book because I was a little intimidated by it as most people who read fantasy love this series so much. I am annoyed that I took so long to read it because this book was fantastic. I kind of paced myself reading it for some reason, extra dumb since I had a limited amount of time to read it before it was returned to the library.

   Vin is a great character, she had the most character development in my opinion. I really liked the father-daughter relationship she had with Kelisar. She is a smart, resourceful, and all-around great character. Her hesitation with trusting Kelisar and his crew and how long it really took her to trust them made so much sense and even how after months she still didn't trust them completely. It just made sense for her character. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance. It kind of came out of nowhere. Anything beyond attraction and finding each other intriguing didn't really make a whole lot of sense to me. Their on-page interactions were very limited so I didn't really understand how they could develop that deep of a connection for it to be love.

   Kelisar, he's a very interesting character. There's a lot about him that still feels like a mystery. While his motivations are more or less answered, who he was before is really glossed over and I would have liked to know who he was before revenge plagued him, at least a little bit. I know that it might not matter in the context of this book, but I still would have liked to have a little more information on that.

   The side characters are all fantastic. I'm not as bothered by the lack of detailed back story for those characters, I don't want to go into detail because... spoilers. It feels like everyone and their grandma has read this book and series, but I was late to the game and can't be the only one who was.

   The Lord Ruler, he was a very interesting villain. On the surface, he might just seem like an evil character for the sake of being evil. But I think in his mind he was doing good, and with how things were wrapped up I am very excited to read the rest of the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment