Translate

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Written Before I Was Born

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
Now, hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.
Sorry this is being posted so late...
I haven't read many books, willingly, that were written/published before I was born. Mostly Nancy Drew in grade school before required reading ruined reading for me. 



   I've read the first book, I don't know how many times over the years, but I never continued the series. I don't know if I'll read all of them, but I want to at least read this one.

   While I have seen the movie, I haven't read the book. Granted I didn't know it was a book until a couple years ago. But I'd be willing to give this a read.

   This is another one where I saw the movie when I was a child, and that movie caused me to be terrified of paintings until I was about 8 or 9. I hadn't realized how many of Dahl's books were adapted.

   One more for Dahl. I've known this book has existed for years, I just never got around to reading it. I knew about it in 4th grade after we read the Chocolate Factory as a class, and my school didn't have it in their library, and by the time I able to buy things with my own money I forgot about it.

   Or something by Austen. I skim-read Pride and Prejudice a few years ago. But I didn't really give it a real read. I'd like to read a classic and not feel like it's homework.

   This is a classic I might actually really enjoy. Horror Sci-fi. I've seen a few adaptations, my favorite and probably least accurate (but very funny) is Mel Brooks' adaptation, Young Frankenstein.

   I vaguely remember reading these when was in grade school, but I don't remember anything. 3rd grade was a long time ago, and think that maybe these books were too dense for my 8-year-old brain. 

   As mentioned, I read some of these when I was a child. But I think these too might have been too dense of my child-brain. Though I think technically they were "children's" books when they were written. But Children in 1930 aren't the same as children in 1994. 

5 comments:

  1. Frankenstein was a great read! Hope you like it.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like Nancy Drew, you should definitely check out Encyclopedia Brown! I absolutely LOVED that series, more than Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys. :3

    I'm stuck at the same spot as you in Anne Rice's series. xD I keep picking up the first book, but I never seem to make it past there, even though I enjoy it. One day, I might even finish the series. One day.

    Here's my TTT post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love revisiting some of those older books I read as a kid- Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy. I loved Roald Dahl as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely read Matilda! The movie was actually pretty faithful to it! Great list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these picks.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete