Translate

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || Empire of Jackals (Chrysathamere Trilogy #2) by Morgan Cole

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

I read the first book a few weeks ago, and it was phenomenal. I'm not far into this one, but it's fantastic already, much like the first one started out strong and maintained that through the whole book. I wasn't sure about sharing quotes from this book, but I've shared quotes from sequels. And this series is one I think people should read. The third book comes out soonish, and I am excited.

*   *   *   *   *
Synopsis:
The race for the throne of Navessea is on.
   The war with Tyrace is over. It was supposed to be a time of celebration. Of triumph. But for Marilia Sandara, hero of Chrysathamere Pass, the cost was too high. After watching her childhood friends slaughtered before her eyes, all she wants to do is sail back to Svartennos and try to forget the price she had to pay for her victory. But the peace isn’t long to last. First comes the news that the woman Marilia loves may soon be engaged to another. Then, when Emperor Vergana makes a shocking announcement—that he means to disinherit his true-born son, Rufyllys, in favor of his adopted child, Prince Ilruyn—the seeds are sown that will plunge Navessea back into war.
   This time, Marilia and her twin brother, Annuweth, find themselves on opposite sides of a conflict that threatens to undo all they fought for. By the time the dust settles and the killing stops, only one of the children of Karthtag-Kal may be left standing.




Book Beginning:
Prologue
Watching her mother die was like watching a flower fade and crumple in the summer's heat.

Friday 56:
He doesn't know, he realized as he slipped a glance at Rufyllys' face, searching for a twinkle in his eye, a twitch of his lip, some sign of mockery or jest, and finding none.







*   *   *   *   *

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: Do you share books? If so, do you have a system to keep track of whom you lend books to? 

A: No, but not because I'm opposed to it. I don't live near any of my friends or family, they live in a different state. So loaning them out isn't practical


5 comments:

  1. Oooof, that's quite a start isn't it? I hope this one is just as good as the first one! I'll definitely add this series to my TBR however, it sounds like it'd be perfect for me. I hope you have a lovely weekend and do drop by my Friday Post if you have the time! - Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. That opening really packs a punch, doesn't it? Definitely makes me curious about what happens next! Hope you enjoy your reading.

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to have to read this one!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the excerpts you shared from Empire of Jackals. I hope it will be as good as the one before it. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete