Translate

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights #1) by Chloe Gong

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I got this book a couple months ago from a Goodreads give away, but I wanted to wait until it was closer to the release date to read it. I still haven't actually started it yet, I've been fairly busy most of the day keeping the smol one focused on school. 

Synopsis:
The year is 1926, and Shanghai hums to the tune of debauchery.
   A blood feud between two gangs runs the streets red, leaving the city helpless in the grip of chaos. At the heart of it all is eighteen-year-old Juliette Cai, a former flapper who has returned to assume her role as the proud heir of the Scarlet Gang—a network of criminals far above the law. Their only rivals in power are the White Flowers, who have fought the Scarlets for generations. And behind every move is their heir, Roma Montagov, Juliette’s first love…and first betrayal.
   But when gangsters on both sides show signs of instability culminating in clawing their own throats out, the people start to whisper. Of a contagion, a madness. Of a monster in the shadows. As the deaths stack up, Juliette and Roma must set their guns—and grudges—aside and work together, for if they can’t stop this mayhem, then there will be no city left for either to rule.


Book Beginning:
In glittering Shanghai, a monster awakens.

Friday 56:
"I know the tutors were bigoted assholes about your education. I'm only saying right now to stop squirming-"
-------

Book Blogger Hop
Click here to add your link

Q: If you go trick-or-treating with your favorite book character, who would it be?

A: He's a favorite character, but Magnus Bane would be great to go trick or treating with. Not sure why, but I feel like he'd just be fun to go with.

8 comments:

  1. Lately, I've been seeing more about These Violent Delights. It seems like a good story, and I like the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome cover! This sounds like something different. I almost stopped reading when I read "gangs", but when the monster crept in, it had my attention again. Sounds good!

    Have a good weekend and here's my Weekend Book Friends #12

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cover and enticing excerpts. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “INVISIBLE GIRL”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tick-or-treating choice, love Bane!
    The book looks awesome too and that cover is beautiful! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize you were having to home school in addition to everything else in your life. Exhausting.I like the opening line of your highlighted book. What monster? My Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Sounds mysterious! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These Violent Delights sounds good! I hope you enjoy it when you read it. I think Magnus Bane is a great choice. I didn't do the BBHOP this week, but I would probably go with Pippi Longstocking. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete