Translate

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Review: Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski


Title: Sword of Destiny
Author: Andrzej Sapkowski
Series: The Witcher #0.75
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Orbit
Publication Date: May 19th, 2015
Edition: Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Source: Library






Synopsis:
   Geralt is a witcher, a man whose magic powers, enhanced by long training and a mysterious elixir, have made him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin. Yet he is no ordinary murderer: his targets are the multifarious monsters and vile fiends that ravage the land and attack the innocent. He roams the country seeking assignments, but gradually comes to realise that while some of his quarry are unremittingly vile, vicious grotesques, others are the victims of sin, evil or simple naivety.
   In this collection of short stories, following the adventures of the hit collection THE LAST WISH, join Geralt as he battles monsters, demons and prejudices alike.



I gotta say, this book as a whole is far less interesting than the first set of short stories. There are some that I enjoyed, but as a collection, I enjoyed fewer of them than the ones in The Last Wish.

The Bounds of Reason, Sword of Destiny, and Something More; were the ones I enjoyed the most. A Shard of Ice, Eternal Flame, and A Little Sacrifice; not so much. I actually almost DNF'd at Eternal Flame. A lot of it was just swaths of seemingly pointless dialog, re-explaining things to various characters. This may sound weird, but the end had a pretty good twist that made it better, but since I didn't really enjoy reading it I can't say it was one that I enjoyed.  

The main characters are still fantastic. It was nice that this book took time to show that Dandelion isn't a complete lecher, Yennifer is in many ways still a scared girl. It was nice to see their complexity.

This book took me a very long time to read, especially considering I read much longer books in a shorter amount of time. I'd wager that it was due to the less interesting short stories of this book. 

Now I have to wait a few more weeks to continue on to book 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment