Translate

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Review: The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang

Title: The Dragon Republic
Author:  R.F. Kuang
Series: The Poppy War #2
Genre: Fantasy/Historical Fiction
Publisher: Harper Voyager
Publication Date: August 6th, 2019
Edition: Kindle Edition, 813 pages
Source: Library






Synopsis:
The war is over.
The war has just begun.
   Three times throughout its history, Nikan has fought for its survival in the bloody Poppy Wars. Though the third battle has just ended, shaman and warrior Rin cannot forget the atrocity she committed to save her people. Now she is on the run from her guilt, the opium addiction that holds her like a vice, and the murderous commands of the fiery Phoenix—the vengeful god who has blessed Rin with her fearsome power.
   Though she does not want to live, she refuses to die until she avenges the traitorous Empress who betrayed Rin’s homeland to its enemies. Her only hope is to join forces with the powerful Dragon Warlord, who plots to conquer Nikan, unseat the Empress, and create a new republic.
   But neither the Empress nor the Dragon Warlord are what they seem. The more Rin witnesses, the more she fears her love for Nikan will force her to use the Phoenix’s deadly power once more.
   Because there is nothing Rin won’t sacrifice to save her country . . . and exact her vengeance.

This was one heck of a ride. I was consistently on the edge of my seat while reading this. All I heard before reading this was how much better it was than the first book, and in my head, I kept thinking 'there's no way. Book one was as close to flawless a book could get'. But this book, this book was phenomenal. I actually had to take a minor break from reading for a couple days because I didn't have time to sit and just read this book the way it deserved to be. I mean, I read this book in a week, but it felt like longer. I lost myself every time I picked it up.  

Second books in trilogies often are the "make or break" book. It's the middle before the big climax of the series. And it did not disappoint, it exceeded my expectations and then some. Book one ends in a way that leaves a lot of loose ends and could have taken this book anywhere. 

Rin is my favorite kind of character. I've never really had a character that I could say was my ultimate favorite. There's a lot of characters that I love. But Rin might be my favorite ever now. She's flawed and rash, knows it, and doesn't care. She does what she feels is right, even when it's the wrong thing. And she admits when she's wrong and accepts the consequences. She doesn't pretend, she doesn't waffle when making decisions. She's just an all-around great character. 

I loved getting to know some of the remaining members of The Cike better. Ramsa is still one of my favorite characters, he's naivete in aspects of life despite what he's been through made him charming. Baji and Suni, though I got to know them better I still didn't get to know them as much as I would have liked. Qara and Chaghan I got to know the most. Their past is explained more, and what their mission was. I hope it's not the last seen of them.

I loved that Kitay got so much page time in this book. He is a definite runner-up for favorite character. He's a great foil for Rin. More level headed than she is. Forces her to look at the big picture before making decisions that affect more than just herself. I also really loved that Venka was back, and the beginnings of a friendship she's forming with Rin. 

Nezha, I didn't like his character in book one, and I barely liked his character in this book. He just has this weakness to his personality that always bothered me. An entitlement to him when he makes huge mistakes and hurts people he expects to be completely forgiven. The only thing that kind of gave him any sympathy is that his older brother, Jinzha is a bigger shit than he is. And his parents aren't much better, his mother is bonkers. I hope that whole family gets what they deserve.

The Hesperians, I don't like them. At all. I also hope they get what they deserve. Bonkers, all of them. Religious zealots are never fun to be around.

I don't really know what else to say, there is so much to say and so much to accidentally spoil. I'm just gonna leave it here. Now I have to wait for the third book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment