Translate

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop || The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War #2) by R.F. Kuang || Freebie! - Best/Worst Conclusion to a Series

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.



Synopsis:
The war is over.
The war has just begun.
    Three times throughout its history, Nikan has fought for its survival in the bloody Poppy Wars. Though the third battle has just ended, shaman and warrior Rin cannot forget the atrocity she committed to save her people. Now she is on the run from her guilt, the opium addiction that holds her like a vice, and the murderous commands of the fiery Phoenix—the vengeful god who has blessed Rin with her fearsome power.
    Though she does not want to live, she refuses to die until she avenges the traitorous Empress who betrayed Rin’s homeland to its enemies. Her only hope is to join forces with the powerful Dragon Warlord, who plots to conquer Nikan, unseat the Empress, and create a new republic.
    But neither the Empress nor the Dragon Warlord are what they seem. The more Rin witnesses, the more she fears her love for Nikan will force her to use the Phoenix’s deadly power once more.
    Because there is nothing Rin won’t sacrifice to save her country... and exact her vengeance.








Book Beginning:
"Come on," Mingzha begged. "Please, I want to see."
  Nesha seized his brother by his chubby wrist and pulled him back from the shallows. "We're not allowed to go past the lily pads."

Friday 56: 
They spun away from the fleet, hurtling toward the waterfall. There was one second of weightlessness, a confusing and delicious moment of utter disorientation, and then the water claimed them.





*   *   *   *   *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

Taking another topic from the past, again, rubbish at making up topics.
Best/Worst Conclusion to a Series

Best


Worst


*   *   *   *   *

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: What social media sites do you visit?

A: Honestly, I mostly only visit Goodreads. I have a Twitter and what-not, but I don't really post that often. 

9 comments:

  1. I guess Allegiant is the worst in my mind, too, because I can't remember the ending. HA! I loved the whole Laini Taylor series. Do you like her Strange the Dreamer series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m bad at coming up with topics too! So I understand completely lol

    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover and blurb are appealing.

    I'm not good at coming up with topics either. As for social media, bookwise, Twitter and Goodreads are my preferred platforms. I use FB a little for books, mostly for myself.

    My Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read The Poppy War... Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely want to give this series a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Dragon Republic. I need more from that author. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I have to agree that the ending of Allegiant was rather disappointing!
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although you're not on Twitter much I am still following you. Also clicked to follow on IG. ;-)

    ReplyDelete