Translate

Friday, May 8, 2020

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop || The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon || Favorite/Least Book You Had to Read for School

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


So, I forgot what day of the week it was, again. It varies week to week these days. Anyway, here's my late post. It's felt like Friday since Monday for me, so when Friday finally got here I missed it.

*   *   *   *   *


Synopsis:
A world divided.
A queendom without an heir.
An ancient enemy awakens.
   The House of Berethnet has ruled Inys for a thousand years. Still unwed, Queen Sabran the Ninth must conceive a daughter to protect her realm from destruction--but assassins are getting closer to her door.
   Ead Duryan is an outsider at court. Though she has risen to the position of lady-in-waiting, she is loyal to a hidden society of mages. Ead keeps a watchful eye on Sabran, secretly protecting her with forbidden magic.
   Across the dark sea, Tané has trained all her life to be a dragonrider, but is forced to make a choice that could see her life unravel.
   Meanwhile, the divided East and West refuse to parley, and forces of chaos are rising from their sleep.


Book Beginning:
And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the Abyss and holding in his hand a great chain.


Friday 56:
A silence fell, taut with anticipation, and the Golden Empress smiled.







*   *   *   *   *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic is Favorite/Least Book You Had to Read for School
And OH BOY do I have a list of ones I didn't like. The favorite is just going to be the one I hated the least, as I didn't really like any of them.

Favorite
I remember really enjoying this.

Least
Oddly, I wanted to throw this one in a fire.

*   *   *   *   *

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: What platform do you use for your blog? 


A: Blogger. 

7 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around and was wondering whether to give it a try. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit that I’ve never read 451 and I need it change that ASAP!

    Thanks for linking up and I hope you have a safe and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna read this book pretty bad... lol... Happy weekend! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading The Old Man and the Sea, even though it wasn't for a school assignment. As I've attended school in Greece, we had to read The Iliad and The Odyssey, and the ancient Greek tragedies.
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't react that strongly to The Old Man and the Sea, but I definitely get what you mean there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are enjoying Shannon's book. I have that one on my TBR pile. It sounds so good. I didn't have to read either of your picks for the 50/50 for school, but I did read Bradbury's book on my own years later and enjoyed it. I am trying to remember if I've read The Old Man and the Sea. I have read a couple of other Hemingway books and enjoyed them. That seems to be the minority opinion whenever his books come up. LOL

    I hope you have a great week! Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I originally started out on Blogger, Marie but was tempted away to Wordpress.com with all their widgets, customisation options and formatting in 2017. On 30th April I decided to go down the self-hosting route and found an affordable deal - Flora's Musings is now a WP.org self-hosted blog! 💜😊
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, Marie, stay safe and healthy.
    Here's my BBH Post
    Flora x

    ReplyDelete