Translate

Monday, March 23, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday: Genre Freebie: Favorite Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Series/Books

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
Now, hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

Even though I took part last week, it still feels like it's been forever since I've done a TTT. And with how insane things have been, I really pushed myself to post to try and maintain some kind of normalcy.
I wasn't sure what to do for a topic at first. I'm pretty sure I've haven't shared favorite Urban Fantasy/Paranormal books in the past. Though I'm sure some of these books have appeared on other favorites lists.
This list is in no particular order.


Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles #1) by Anne Rice - I have had a copy of this book since middle school. I lost my original copy so long ago I don't remember what happened to it, but I found a new(ish) copy at a used bookstore a few years ago so I have one back in my collection.


Storm (Elemental #1) by Brigid Kemmerer - Most know Kemmerer from her new series A Curse so Dark and Lonely (which I do love), this is a book I read back in 2013. I think it was her first published work. It's a series about brothers, and while I like all the books in the series, the main characters in this book are my favorites. I still wish there was a spin-off series about these characters since they took more and more of a back seat as the series went on.


Ice Massacre (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai #1) by Tiana Warner - I really love this series. It was one of the first series' I found with Mermaids that was closer to the mythology of mermaids and less Disney-mermaid. I just love these characters so much. And I am really excited for the graphic novels for the series coming.


Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath #1) by Anne Greenwood Brown - Another mermaid series, though this one has a different take that I really enjoyed. I was on a big Mermaid kick in 2015, I was able to read a few good ones, and a few not so good ones, these two series' are my favorites.


The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black - This is the second book by Holly Black I had ever read, the first being Coldest Girl in Coldtown. I liked it, but I just liked this one a little bit more. This is the kind of standalone where I wanted more but was still satisfied with how it ended. I'm thinking of re-reading it.


Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout - This series is kind of a guilty pleasure. A lot of the dialogue is really cheesy, and not how teenagers talk. Not when I was one and not now. But I still really enjoy it. I think a lot has to do with that I read this series shortly after binge-watching Roswell (1999) when it was on NetFlix back in 2013, and this book kind of reminds me of that show.


The Heartless City by Andrea Berthot - A strange book to say the least. Pretty dark as well. But very different from a lot I had read at the time. And not the typical retelling.


The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare - I like all the Shadowhunter books I have read, I'm a little behind, but Magnus is my favorite Downworlder, and one of the consistently best characters in the whole Shadowhunter world. It was either his Novella bind-up or Simon's. 


Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor - As it's still one of my favorite books/series of all time, this had to make the list. I recently finished Must of Nightmares, and a thing is hinted/mentioned and I would really love at the very least a short story or novella about that. 


Marrow Charm by Kristin Jacques - This book is so recently a favorite that when I first read it form NetGalley it wasn't clear if she was going to get her sequel. SO happy that she is. This world is so uniquely fascinating, and that cliffhanger! I need more, and I need more people to read it. Please.

10 comments:

  1. I always need more urban fantasy recs so I'm glad to see this list! Holly Black is at the top of my list of authors I want to try- her books just look so deliciously creepy!- and Cassandra Clare is another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list - love some urban fantasy! My TTT is here https://bookloverssanctuary.com/2020/03/24/top-ten-tuesday-genre-freebie/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list, but urban fantasy... not my thing. Still...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marrow Charm does sound interesting.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I need to find a copy of Marrow Charm. It looks right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but I wasn't a fan of the second book in the trilogy. I still have yet to read the last one!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2020/03/24/top-ten-tuesday-256/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Interview with the Vampire! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only one I've read is Daughter of Smoke & Bone and only the first book. I loved the first 3/4, but it lost me at the twist. I'm not a great fantasy reader, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not much for fantasy, so I haven't read any of these. I'm glad you enjoyed them though!

    Happy TTT!

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I loved the Elemental series so much! You also have one of my favorite authors there, Anne Greenwood Brown! Happy Reading! Top 10 @Our Epic TBR List

    ReplyDelete