Translate

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop || The Last Wish (The Witcher #0.5) by Andrzej Sapkowski || Favorite/Least Favorite Paranormal of 2019

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.



I had hoped to be done with this book, or at least further along than I am. Alas, I am not yet done. Nearly, but not quite. I skipped last week because I have been playing The Witcher 3 since I got it late last month. It was on sale through Steam for 15$, with all the DLC's. Couldn't resist that deal. So here I am, still reading the same books I started last month. I need to finish this one soon before it's returned to the library.


Synopsis:
Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin. And a cold-blooded killer. His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world. But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good... and in every fairy-tale, there is a grain of truth.




Book Beginning:
  She came to him toward morning.
She entered very carefully, moving silently, floating through the chamber like a phantom; the only sound was that of her mantle brushing naked skin.

Friday 56:
"You don't understand?" The monster raised his head; his eyes shone like a cat's. "My portrait is hung beyond the candlelight. I can see it, but I'm not human. At least, not at the moment. A human, looking at my portrait, would get up, go closer and, no doubt, have to take the candlestick with him. You didn't do that, so the conclusion is simple. But I'm asking you plainly: are you human?"
Geralt didn't lower his eyes. "If that's the way you put it," he answered after a moment's silence, "then, not quite."



*   *   *   *   *


50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic is Favorite/Least Favorite Paranormal of 2019.


Favorite
This book was a lot of fun, and I loved the characters.

Least
Only because I didn't like the ending, it was very good otherwise.
It had a sad ending... and I wanted a happier one.


*   *   *   *   *


Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: What is your go-to recommendation for someone who doesn’t read often?

A: Honestly, it kind of depends on what genre they like. Even someone who doesn't read often would know if they like Fantasy, Sci-fi or Historical Fiction. I'd find that out, then go from there.

11 comments:

  1. I hope you get to finish it. Love the excerpts. Here's mine: “DEAD TO HER”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some books just take longer to get through. I hope you are at least enjoying the Witcher book!

    I love the cover of The Last Necromancer. It sounds like something I would enjoy. I will have to check it out.

    I don't really have a go to title that I could recommend either. It depends on so many other factors.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover of the first book you ighlighted looks like a combination Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Are there dragons in space? My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wicked good, but I don't like them calling the dragona monster... ;-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you manage to finish it soon. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm waiting for my copy of The Last Wish to come in at the library. I can't wait to read it because I loved the show so much. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Last Necromancer looks and sounds good! How are you liking The Witcher 3? I LOVE that game so much!

    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed The Last Necromancer by C.J. Archer when I read it a couple of years ago but I haven't got around to reading the rest of the books in the series though. Oops!
    Yeah, like you already said, I'd need to know what sort of genres the person enjoys first too before I would recommend anything.
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend, Marie.
    Here's my BBH Post
    Flora x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see draaaagons. <3 That's a fabulous deal in The Witcher 3! Hope you're enjoying it. I really want to read this series (and watch the Netflix series), but I just haven't had a chance yet. I think I'll probably end up watching the series first. I hope you enjoy this!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the opening on Book Beginnings! And for the tip on the new 50/50 event. I like the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After watching the series on Netflix I really want to start reading The Witcher book series. I hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete