Translate

Friday, January 17, 2020

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop | Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy #1) by Amélie Wen Zhao || Favorite/Least Review You've Written

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.




I am so happy that I finally got this, that wait list at the library felt like forever. I plan on buying this book, and I will once I have finished all my unread owned books. But I couldn't wait that long to read this. 


Synopsis
  In the Cyrilian Empire, Affinites are reviled. Their varied gifts to control the world around them are unnatural—dangerous. And Anastacya Mikhailov, the crown princess, has a terrifying secret. Her deadly Affinity to blood is her curse and the reason she has lived her life hidden behind palace walls.
  When Ana’s father, the emperor, is murdered, her world is shattered. Framed as his killer, Ana must flee the palace to save her life. And to clear her name, she must find her father’s murderer on her own. But the Cyrilia beyond the palace walls is far different from the one she thought she knew. Corruption rules the land, and a greater conspiracy is at work—one that threatens the very balance of her world. And there is only one person corrupt enough to help Ana get to its core: Ramson Quicktongue.
  A cunning crime lord of the Cyrilian underworld, Ramson has sinister plans—though he might have met his match in Ana. Because in this story, the princess might be the most dangerous player of all.


Book Beginning:
The prison bore a sharp resemblance to the dungeons of Anastacya's childhood: dark, wet, and made of unyielding stone that leaked grime and misery.



Friday 56:
You are not a monster, sistrika.
She had so, so desperately waned to believe that.





*   *   *   *   *


50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.


This week's topic is Favorite and Least favorite review I've written.

Favorite
Not really sure with this one. I try to make all my reviews as discussion-y as possible, so I kind of like all my more recent reviews. Anything in the past, 2 years I am pretty proud of. Unless it's a book that I was really 'meh' for I put a lot of effort into. And the books that I don't feel one way or another for I don't put the review on my blog, I just put it on Goodreads.


Least
All of my early reviews, before I "knew how" to review. I have deleted them almost all of them, I kept the more coherent ones, so they no longer exist because they were that bad.


*   *   *   *   *


Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link


Q: Do you think that readers make better employees, as opposed to non-readers? Why or why not? 

A: Not really. It really depends on the kind of work you are talking about, and whether or not that job allows the kind of free time to read, and not everybody finds enjoyment from reading. Most people I know read to relax and if reading isn't relaxing to a person then reading won't help them become a better employee. 

7 comments:

  1. Captivating cover and snippets!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing! I have many reviews on Goodreads that I've not posted to my blog because I just don't feel like the belong there...? Are good enough for my blog...? Idk but yeah, I've got some on Goodreads not on the blog.

    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad this book came out, despite the controversy around it! I've heard really good things about it, but haven't had a chance to get my hands on it yet. Hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're enjoying it. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an attention-grabbing opening! Thanks for sharing it on Book Beginnings.

    ReplyDelete