Translate

Monday, December 30, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Books I Read In 2019

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
Now, hosted by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.


I read a lot of fantastic books this year. Narrowing it down was tough, but I decided that with the entire series' I read this year will only count as one.
It's also a way for me to use more books. This is in order that I read them, starting with first to most recent.



1) The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo - Collection of fairytales that Bardugo created for her Grishaverse. Honestly, I want more. These were so good.

2) The Rose Society, The Midnight Star by Marie Lu - Completing this series after having it on my shelf for years was one of my goals for this year. And Midnight Star was the first book that made me cry this year. Some stuff happens that hit me in the feels.

3) Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle #1) by Rosaria Munda - This was a fantastic book. I had so much fun reading it. Dragon riders, some light political intrigue.

4) Give the Dark My Love (Give the Dark My Love #1) by Beth Revis - It had been a while since I read a book by Revis. The last one I believe was The Body Electric (highly recommend by the way). A book about Necromancy, loss, and the steps a person is willing to take to bring back those she's lost. I am very excited for the sequel.

5) A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers #1) by Brigid Kemmerer - I have been a fan of Kemmerer's books for a while, since Storm. When I heard she was writing a retelling of my favorite fairy tale, I was so on board. I really enjoyed this book, and I am looking forward to reading the sequel.

6) Red Sister, Grey Sister, Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor) by Mark Lawrence - This series was honestly some of the best work I have read in a long time. The magic system and the world lost me a little, that's not the case for a lot of people though, the characters were what I loved most about this series. While all the main characters are women, they are still a very diverse set of characters and I love all of them. 

7) The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep) by Adrienne Young - A sequel/spin-off of Sky in the Deep, one of my favorite books of 2018, when I heard there was going to be more set in that world I was really excited. I wasn't as invested in these characters as I was with the first book, but I still really enjoyed this and I love the world. Obviously, I want more set in this world.

8) Nevernight, Godsgrave, Darkdawn (Nevernight Chronicle) by Jay Kristoff - This series was fantastic. I read it between reading the books from the Book of the Ancestor series, as both were read through my library and I had to wait. This series also has fantastic worldbuilding and characters, and a magic system that was a little more clear to me. I would love to read more set in this world, especially with how the series ends.

9) The Trials of Morrigan Crow, The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor) by Jessica Townsend - This series was just lovely. It gave me the same magical vibes I got the first time I read Harry Potter, without it feeling like a rip-off of it. I loved Morrigan as a character, I loved her wit, and how she still cared for others in spite of how she was treated her whole life. I don't know how many books are going to be in this series, but book three comes out in August.

10) Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle #1) by Kristin Jacques - This was a standout surprise of the year for me. I don't remember what I was expecting going into this book, but what I got was so much more than I could have assumed. This book has a very interesting world and a complex magical system that I am very interested in learning more about. Another book that I anticipate the sequel for.

4 comments:

  1. Those Marie Lu books are brilliant. I need to get my hands on a copy of Darkdawn. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get my hands on Rebel. That fourth Legend series book. Darkdawn is an insane book, and the ending... woof. I wasn't expecting it.

      Delete
  2. I’m going to be reading Nevermoor this month. It sounds brilliant.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete