Translate

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop | A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin || Favorite/Least Favorite Book of November

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Synopsis:
   Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. To the south, the king’s powers are failing—his most trusted adviser dead under mysterious circumstances and his enemies emerging from the shadows of the throne. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the frozen land they were born to. Now Lord Eddard Stark is reluctantly summoned to serve as the king’s new Hand, an appointment that threatens to sunder not only his family but the kingdom itself.
   Sweeping from a harsh land of cold to a summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, A Game of Thrones tells a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens. Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; a child is lost in the twilight between life and death; and a determined woman undertakes a treacherous journey to protect all she holds dear. Amid plots and counter-plots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, allies and enemies, the fate of the Starks hangs perilously in the balance, as each side endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.




Book Beginning:
"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them. "The wildlings are dead."


Friday 56:
Septa Mordane had been very upset to realize that Lord Baelish had overheard them. "The girl was just talking, my lord," she'd said. "Foolish chatter. She meant nothing by the comment."

*   *   *   *   *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic should be pretty easy. My favorite and least favorite reads of November. I didn't finish that many books last month.

Favorite
5-star read for sure.

Least Favorite
This book was just 'meh' for me.

*   *   *   *   *




Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link


Q: Do you keep your TBR stack on a separate shelf from your already read books or are they mixed?

A: I keep books/series that I am currently reading on a different shelf from the ones that are completed and are finished. 

11 comments:

  1. I haven't read A Game of Thrones, but I have heard a lot about it. Enjoy your current read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved GOT as a TV show (well, I mostly loved it) so I've been hesitant to dig into the books because I have such a set picture of everything in my head. If I ever have a long holiday again, though, I'll definitely give it a try! And I can't wait to have proper bookshelves again at some point so I can be more organized with my bokos.
    I hope you have a lovely weekend and do drop by my Friday Post if you have the time! - Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, season 7 and 8 were a real let down. (to put it lightly.)
      But the book characters actually have pretty different physical descriptions than the actors who were chosen, and they are a lot younger in the books. So it's not been that hard to differentiate the characters in the book from the ones in the show.

      Delete
  3. Now I want to pull out my copy of The Ice Dragon. Perfect story for this time of year. Burr...

    My TBR pile flows to several locations, but usually roughly organized by genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look that up, and the idea that GRRM wrote a children's book is really funny to me, considering what I've read so far in GoT.

      Delete
  4. I've always wanted to read it, and even have it onmy Kindle, I'm just worried that because I have seen and loved the series that I won't be able to stay involved in the book....
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books to show (book one so far) is pretty similar. The show made a lot of the characters older, for obvious reasons. I know that in later books entire characters were left out of the show, so I look forward to reading those when I get to them.

      Delete
  5. Dark Dawn has such a stunning cover! I want it on my shelf!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to own the books too. The downside to borrowing them from the library.

      Delete
  6. I'm waiting for my library hold to come in on Darkdawn!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete