Translate

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Review: The Serpent's Secret by Sayantani DasGupta

Title: The Serpent's Secret
Author: Sayantani DasGupta
Series: Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #1
Genre: Middle-grade/Fantasy/Mythology
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publication Date: February 27th, 2018
Edition: Kindle Edition, 368 pages
Source: Library




Synopsis:
  MEET KIRANMALA: INTERDIMENSIONAL DEMON SLAYER
  (Only she doesn't know it yet.)
  On the morning of her twelfth birthday, Kiranmala is just a regular sixth grader living in Parsippany, New Jersey . . . until her parents mysteriously vanish and a drooling rakkhosh demon slams through her kitchen, determined to eat her alive. Turns out there might be some truth to her parents' fantastical stories-like how Kiranmala is a real Indian princess and how she comes from a secret place not of this world.
  To complicate matters, two crush-worthy princes ring her doorbell, insisting they've come to rescue her. Suddenly, Kiran is swept into another dimension full of magic, winged horses, moving maps, and annoying, talking birds. There she must solve riddles and battle demons all while avoiding the Serpent King of the underworld and the Rakkhoshi Queen in order to find her parents and basically save New Jersey, her entire world, and everything beyond it.

Review:

This was a cute, fun book. This is definitely one of those middle-grade books that's more geared for youngish (9-12-year-olds) kids, and less accessible to everyone (The Harry Potter/Nevermoor books). Not a bad thing, but some of the jokes were very young, and the dialog from the child characters was a little outdated at times.

Now, I am neither Indian-American, from or ever been to New Jersey. But, I just feel like this book could have used more work. Some things were glossed over, and while I know this is a children's book, that doesn't mean plot points can't be fleshed out more. There was also a heavy focus on, for lack of better phrasing, snot related gross-out humor. It's been a while since I was 12, but I remember enough to know that kids that age are a little too old to find that stuff funny. I hope not anyway.

The characters, I liked them. But I did find myself getting annoyed at the main character, Kiran, for how she talked about people, especially girls her age, who cry, regardless of the reason why. It started to sound a bit like girl-hate, and I don't think it's a good idea to instill in the minds of kids that age that if you cry you are useless and pathetic. Those words weren't used, but it was implied. (I already returned the book to the library, so I can't share any quotes.) Neel and Lal, I liked them. But Lal wasn't in the book as much, and he didn't really get any character development.

What I loved about this book was the focus and exposure to Indian folklore. I don't know a lot about it, and that's what drew me to this book initially. There's been a heavy focus for decades on Greek/Roman mythology, and I think it's high time for the rest of the world to have their culture featured in books, for all ages.

I might still read the sequel, though I am not in a hurry. I do what this series to succeed, regardless of my critiques. Other culture's mythologies should be featured.

No comments:

Post a Comment