Translate

Thursday, October 10, 2019

Friday 56|Book Beginnings|Friday 50/50|Blogger Hop| The Glass Sentence (The Mapmakers Trilogy #1) by S.E. Grove | Favorite/Least Favorite Orange Book Cover

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


Synopsis:
  She has only seen the world through maps. She had no idea they were so dangerous.
    Boston, 1891. Sophia Tims comes from a family of explorers and cartologers who, for generations, have been traveling and mapping the New World—a world changed by the Great Disruption of 1799, when all the continents were flung into different time periods.  Eight years ago, her parents left her with her uncle Shadrack, the foremost cartologer in Boston, and went on an urgent mission. They never returned. Life with her brilliant, absent-minded, adored uncle has taught Sophia to take care of herself.
   Then Shadrack is kidnapped. And Sophia, who has rarely been outside of Boston, is the only one who can search for him. Together with Theo, a refugee from the West, she travels over rough terrain and uncharted ocean, encounters pirates and traders, and relies on a combination of Shadrack’s maps, common sense, and her own slantwise powers of observation. But even as Sophia and Theo try to save Shadrack’s life, they are in danger of losing their own.


Book Beginning:
It happened long ago, when I was only a child.



Friday 56:
Normally, Mazapan relied on hired guards for protection on the route between the Veracruz market and the Nochtland, where he had his chocolate store.






*   *   *   *   *


50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic is Favorite/Least Favorite Orange Book Cover
I don't own many Orange books, or know of many. I actually like both theses covers, just the other one is a little bland,  imo.

Favorite

Meh


*   *   *   *   *

Book Blogger Hop
Click here to add your link


Q: Name one book that gets you in the mood for Halloween.

A: I can't really think of any. It's Halloween as soon as it's October in my house. Halloween is my Christmas.


9 comments:

  1. I remember hearing about The Glass Sentence a while ago, but I never read it. It seems interesting, and I like the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's that way for a lot of people! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marzipan had a chocolate store? Good one. I was looking for a good marzipan candy this past week. Didn't find it. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal Storm is such an awesome cover! I love it!

    Same. Halloween is my Christmas too. With Christmas being a distant second lol

    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious for more!!! Happy CDN Thanksgiving weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Glass Sentence looks like quite an adventure. Does it come with a map?

    I thought Ashley's Frankenstein book sounded like a good choice for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that name as Marzipan on first glance... and now I want marzipan! LOL
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don’t read a single book each and every Halloween but I am participating in a number of Halloween themed reading challenges this month.

    I hope you enjoy your weekend. Here's my BBH Post
    Flora x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I decorate for Halloween right when Oct 1st hits as well! :)

    My BBH

    ReplyDelete