Translate

Monday, August 19, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Tropes

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
And moved to That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

I think when people say that they hate tropes, it has more to do with how the tropes are used rather than the trope itself. I, love a good trope and love when they are used well. (though there are still a small handful of tropes I dislike, the over-baring love interest who manipulates the other person to make them stay, and the person stays and thinks it's love... that needs to stop.) But most other tropes I like.
 

1. Hate to Love: This is one that can be used poorly, but when it's used well, I LIVE FOR IT! Bickering, and arguing with the sexual tension lurking, then raring its head when neither were expecting it. I love it.

2. Best Friends to Lovers: Kind of the opposite to the previous one, this one has the advantage to potentially not have any of the angsty drama attached. Since it's two people who already know everything about each other and trust each other. Relationships with the foundation of friendship are some of the healthiest.

3. Found Family: As someone who isn't close with my family, like at all, I really apprecaite found families in books. Sometimes the family you choose is better than the family you were given, and that's okay.

4. Female Villains: But only if the motivation behind their villainy isn't because of a man. Because seriously, women actually have a lot more interesting motivations in life that have nothing to do with men. It could just be a power-hungry woman the way male villains are power-hungry. 

5. Redemption Arcs: I think this trope needs to be used more often. Or at least better.

6. Retellings/Reimaginings: I have read almost every Beauty and the Beast retelling, and I can't get enough. 

7. Slow-burn Romance: The will they/won't they of it gets to me every time. These are often used alongside the hate-to-love and freinds-to-lovers trope.

8. Villain as the MC: I don't know if this has ever actually been used, other than maybe in thrillers, but I think it could work for other genres like Fantasy and Sci-fi.

9. Fake Dating: These can often be really cute and use that slow-burn romance trope as well. They often use cute situations where the characters slowly fall for each other, it's all very cute and sometimes a cute book is needed.

10. The Chosen One: This trope might feel overused to a lot of people, but I still like it. I mean, any trope used poorly will make the trope look bad.

8 comments:

  1. Yay! You are the first one I've seen with female villains listed, other than myself today! I love it! One of my faves completely and I agree with everything you said!
    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Villans as the MC for sure are a great trope!

    Lotte | www.lottelauv.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love retellings, too! Some of them are quite well done.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great list--I love so many of these romance tropes ❤️I never really thought about female villains and tbh I don't think I've read that many books with them! I'll have to have a think about this lol great pick!

    My TTT post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of retellings as well, especially Beauty and the Beast! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, all of these are great tropes! I especially love all the romance ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I agree with so many of these tropes. Okay, okay, fine I agree with ALL OF THEM. But, yes! I'm going to dingle out retellings because I'm in an especially large "GIVE ME ALL THE RETELLINGS" mood today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love almost all of these. If a trope is well-done, it doesn't matter if it's been done a thousand times before. It's never been done before with those characters.

    ReplyDelete