Translate

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) by Jay Kristoff || Friday 50/50: Favorite/Least Favorite Book City

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I did it, I finally started reading this book, and I have no idea why I waited so long. This is SO GOOD.


Synopsis:
  In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.
  Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.
  Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.
  Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?



Book Beginning:
  People often shit themselves when they die.



Friday 56:
  Weeks passed in the Quiet Mountain, and not many of them were quiet at all.











*   *   *   *   *
50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

Book Cities, since Worldbuilding is one of my favorite things in books, this is going to be tough to choose a favorite. 

Favorite
Diagon Alley - Harry Potter
It sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I would just love to visit all the little shops and just look at everything.


Least Favorite
The Capitol, Panem - Hunger Games
(It was really hard to find a good image of the Capitol, this was the best one I could find)
There is nothing about that city that would make me ever want to visit... it just sounds awful.


7 comments:

  1. Well, the first sentence is true to life. Haha. I would like the read Nevernight. I've heard wonderful things about it.

    I have to agree with your 50/50 choices. Panem makes me shiver just thinking about it. And I would so love to visit Diagon Alley!

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well that is a very unexpected book beginning. I used to work at a nursing home and had to tend a woman who died. I was not prepared for the final evacuation from the bowels. Ugh. My Friday Quotes are at the bottom of my review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree The Capitol would suck! I would never want to go there. But Diagon Alley would be such an amazing place to visit!

    Thanks for linking up and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that first line is why you hesitated to read the book. That's pretty strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first line is true, though often is actually always. Sad but true.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nevernight has been on my radar for a while. I must get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on the Capitol! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete