Translate

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Settings I’d Like to See More Of (Or At All)

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
And moved to That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

I struggled with thinking of ideas, I haven't really thought about settings I'd like to see more of in a while.

1. Underwater world, but not Merfolk, not exactly anyway. Think Rapture from BioShock, meets Ocean Girl. (slightly obscure reference)

2. I'd kind of like to see more books about Pre-Roman invasion/occupation of the British Isles.

3. Alternate History. Any kind really. One where magic exists, one where the Hindenburg didn't blow up.

4. Magical school for college-aged people. I know The Magicians exists, but I couldn't get into the book. It had pacing issues for me.

5. Medieval Scotland, but not royals. I want to read more about the "Peasant" life.

6. Adult Urban Fantasy. YA and NA Urban Fantasy are everywhere. 

7. Books set in Asia, that isn't Japan. Japan is great, I love so much about that country. But Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam... there is more to Asia than Japan, and I would love to read a book set there.

8. Fantasy with a different kind of Class system. I know that most fantasy is based on European history. But Electing leaders isn't a new concept, a lot of earlier cultures elected their leaders.

9. Romance without abusive behaviors. I don't understand why or how romance (mostly NA romance) still perpetuates the Overbearing male love interest. I literally read a book recently where the man basically threw a temper tantrum over his wife having a male OBGYN doctor and forced her to get a new Female doctor. That shit needs to stop and not be thought of as any kind of ok or romantic.

10. Morally gray characters. I love a good Anti-hero. They are often more complex characters.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, we definitely need more alternate histories.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about so much of these - alternate history for sure is fun. I read and loved MY LADY JANE and found it so entertaining exactly because the authors changed, well, basically everything AND added magic to the mix. I love romance so much, but I hate controlling behaviour.. your example was just... yikes. Why do some still present these types of romances as "hot"!? Meh. Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rapture like place would be freaking epic!

    ReplyDelete