Translate

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities #1) by C.J. Archer || Friday 50/50: Favorite/Least Favorite Fandom

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.



I've had this book on my Kindle for a while now, the other two books I'm reading are physical books. I like to read at least one eBook that way I can read it when I'm having a hard time reading I can read in bed without disturbing The Husband.

Synopsis:
  Victorian London: For five years, Charlotte (Charlie) Holloway has lived as a boy in the slums. But when one theft too many gets her arrested, her only means of escape lies with a dead man. Charlie hasn't raised a spirit since she first discovered she could do so five years ago. That time, her father banished her. This time, she brings even more trouble upon herself.
People are now hunting Charlie all over London, but only one man succeeds in capturing her. 
  Lincoln Fitzroy is the mysterious head of a secret organization on the trail of a madman who needs a necromancer to control his newly "made" creatures. There was only one known necromancer in the world - Charlotte - but now there appears to be two. Lincoln captures the willful Charlie in the hopes the boy will lead him to Charlotte. But what happens when he discovers the boy is in fact the young woman he's been searching for all along? And will she agree to work for the man who held her against her will, and for an organization she doesn't trust? 
Because Lincoln and his ministry might be just as dangerous as the madman they're hunting.

Book Beginning:
The other prisoners eyed me as if I were a piece of meat. I was someone new to distract them from their boredom, and small enough that I couldn't stop one - let alone four - from doing what they wanted. It was only a matter of who would the first to enjoy me.


Friday 56:
"Yes, but I'm not sure she's thought it through." Lady Harcourt turned her winning smile onto me. "What is there for a girl to do here?"

"Gamble and play cards," I told her.


*   *   *   *   *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic, Favorite/Least Favorite Fandom.

Hmm... I had to think about this. Because I try to not judge or trash on people for liking things I don't... So, I'm gonna go with how people behave within the fandoms.

Favorite
People in this fandom are, mostly, very accepting and open to discussions about characters, headcanons, and theories. (Every fandom has those bad apples.)

Least Favorite
In my experience, the majority of the people in this fandom act as if they are ready to cut you if you either don't like the books or if you don't like their ship. (Even though the books are all published and the pairing has been set.)




7 comments:

  1. Love both snippets, but that beginning definitely pulled me in! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beginning is quite surprising, considering the title and cover of the book)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about Twilight! Around two years ago I found my old Team Edward shirt and decided to wear it for the day... I had a random lady come up to me and tell me Jacob was better and she hated my shirt. Like.... come on!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your current read sounds like something I'd pick up. Hope you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting excerpts. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete