Translate

Friday, June 28, 2019

Review: The Midnight Star by Marie Lu

Title: The Midnight Star
Author: Marie Lu
Series: The Young Elites #3
Genre: Fantasy/Magic/Ya/Romance
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 11th, 2016
Edition: Hardcover, 316 pages
Source: Purchased



Synopsis:
There was once a time when darkness shrouded the world, and the darkness had a queen.
 Adelina Amouteru is done suffering. She’s turned her back on those who have betrayed her and achieved the ultimate revenge: victory. Her reign as the White Wolf has been a triumphant one, but with each conquest her cruelty only grows. The darkness within her has begun to spiral out of control, threatening to destroy all she’s gained.
 When a new danger appears, Adelina’s forced to revisit old wounds, putting not only herself at risk, but every Elite. In order to preserve her empire, Adelina and her Roses must join the Daggers on a perilous quest—though this uneasy alliance may prove to be the real danger.

Review:

Well, in the end, this book kind of messed me up. I accidentally got spoiled for the ending of this book when I was looking up how to spell names in my review for the last book. But I didn't know how it was going to happen. That being said, I was still not prepared for it. When it happened I was full on crying. Didn't help that I was listening to a Studio Ghibli playlist while I was reading and 'One Summer's Day' from Spirited Away came on, and it's a piano version. I was ugly crying, but quietly because I didn't want to wake anybody, lol.

I was not sure what to expect from this book, but I think I got more than I had bargained for. Marie Lu has a way of pulling at your heartstrings. And OH BOY did she tug with this book. 

I honestly had always kind of related to Adelina. We actually have a few things in common; deep seeded anger and trust issues, and we're both blind in one eye.
I'm not quite as... dark as she is. I don't really want to elicit pain and torment on others the way she did. I'm still not happy with Raffaele. He did manipulate Violetta a little. Had he not been so quick to dismiss her asking for help with her sister things may have turned out differently. He's was just a tad too self-righteous in my opinion. Everything he ever thought ended up being wrong. I suppose the events of the end of this book humbled him a little though, hopefully.

Magiano was an underused character in many ways. I wish he had a larger role in the two books he was in. I wish he had been able to temper Adelina a little more than he did.

I wish there had been more chapters outside Adelina's POV for this book. I think it would have added a little extra something. We got some POV of events that happened in their past, but nothing to show what was going through their minds in the present, and I would have liked that.

There is so much to say, and so little I can without spoiling things. 

One thing I wish I had done while reading the whole series that I did for this book, was reading the bits of text above Adelina's chapters. They added so much more to the story.

I hope anyone who hasn't read this series, does soon. It is totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment