Translate

Monday, February 25, 2019

Review: Again, but Better by Christine Riccio

Title: Again, but Better
Series: Standalone
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Ya/Sci-fi
Publisher: Wednesday Books
Publication Date: May 7th, 2019
Edition: Kindle Edition, 384 pages
Source: NetGalley


Synopsis:
   Shane has been doing college all wrong. Pre-med, stellar grades, and happy parents…sounds ideal -- but Shane's made zero friends, goes home every weekend, and romance…what’s that?
   Her life has been dorm, dining hall, class, repeat. Time's a ticking, and she needs a change -- there's nothing like moving to a new country to really mix things up. Shane signs up for a semester abroad in London. She's going to right all her college mistakes: make friends, pursue boys, and find adventure!
   Easier said than done. She is soon faced with the complicated realities of living outside her bubble, and when self-doubt sneaks in, her new life starts to fall apart.
   Shane comes to find that, with the right amount of courage and determination one can conquer anything. Throw in some fate and a touch of magic - the possibilities are endless.


Review:

This book was such a delight to read. I know that people are hesitant to read books by booktubers, and while I haven't read any of the others, I can say that this book actually seems thought out. This book had a plan, had a good editor, and has good writing as well as great characters. I'd like to add on, that while I have watched her Channel, I am not an avid viewer, all thoughts an opinions are based solely on the content of the book.

There isn't much I can relate to when it comes to Shane, but I can relate to her social awkwardness. More than once early on I got some second-hand embarrassment from how awkward she was, so I get it. But didn't really matter that was all I could relate to. I could still sympathize with her and how her family treated her. 

This was a really cute book, but it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. There were some actual things that weren't just angst, there was some mild romance-y drama between Shane and Pilot (the romantic interest), but it never got that dramatic. 

I like how when she finally comes into her own, she tries to fix more than her romantic life, she makes changes with her family and finally tells them how she feels instead of letting herself be unhappy for their happiness. It was, and is, an important lesson to learn.

Keeping this review spoiler-free was harder than I thought it would be, I am tried really hard because this book doesn't come out for another 3 months. And I can't wait for the rest of the world to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment