Translate

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: Looking for Dei by David A. Willson || Friday 50/50: Best/Worst Read in March

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.



Synopsis:
     Fifteen-year-old Nara Dall has never liked secrets. Yet it seems that her life has been filled with them, from the ugly scar on her back to the strange powers she possesses. Her mysterious father refuses to say anything about her origins, and soon, she and her best friend must attend the announcement ceremony, in which youths are tested for a magical gift.
     A gifted youth has not been announced in the poor village of Dimmitt for decades. When Nara uncovers the reason, she uses her own powers to make things right. The decision sets her on a path of danger, discovery, and a search for the divine. In the process, she learns the truth about herself and uncovers the biggest secret of all: the power of broken people.


Book Beginning:
Southside Orphanage
Fairmount - Capital of the Great Land
652PB (Post-Breshi)
The toddler blew at the dandelion bloom until its seeds broke free and floated away in a breeze that gusted past the man watching her from the bushes. His breath hitched as his burdens were lifted and briefly forgotten.

My 56:
But his sword was different, having been decorated with a special rune.









*   *   *   *   *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

The cover is linked to my review.


Best


Worst


9 comments:

  1. Lovely beginning, though I still sense danger. That 56 though... awesome! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is new to me but sounds like something I'd enjoy. I hope you are enjoying it. This week I am featuring Lord of the Pies by Nell Hampton - a nice cozy mystery. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the opening. My sister liked this one and I now have it on my list.

    My Friday 56 from The Battle For Darracia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try Sky in the Deep! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the beginning of this book. It seems like a pleasant opening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sky in the Deep has such an awesome cover! I've been meaning to read it for what feels like forever!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness the Sky in the Deep cover is GORGEOUS! I have to confess, I'm a proud cover snob and it's going on my TBR for that reason alone :) That and fantasy is basically my life. Thanks for linking up, Marie!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete