Translate

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon #1) by Joseph R. Lallo

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


Synopsis:
Myranda is a young woman more interested in staying alive than being a hero. Orphaned by a continent-spanning war that has gone on for decades too long and shunned for failing to support it, she has been on the move since she was only a child. One can hardly blame her when she thinks that the chance discovery of a fallen soldier's priceless cargo is the moment that will change her life. No one could predict just how great that change would be. It will lead her through an adventure of rebels and generals, of wizards and warriors, and of beasts both noble and monstrous. Each step of the way will take her closer to the truth of her potential, of the war, and of the fate of her world.



Book Beginning:
The end of the fall had only just come, and already the air could chill one to the bone.
Thoughts:
This book has some strange formatting, making it slightly confusing where the start of the book actually is. There are no indicators to the start of chapters other than a '#'. But I think I found the start of this book. I read this book a few years ago and while I do own and meant to finish the rest of the series I just never got around to doing that.

My 56:
Behind the bar was a wiry young fellow, likely the owner's son. He'd leaned his chair against the wall and gazed lazily into the space through a few greasy locks that hung in front of his half-closed eyes. Miranda approached him, hopeful of procuring a few pieced of meat from last night. In her experience, if the meat was past it's prime, the kitchen would usually part with it free of charge. It might not be tasty, but it would be nourishing, and so long as it filled her stomach, she was satisfied.
Thoughts:
This is one of those really "word-y" books, it took me a long, long time to read this when I did. It's a very interesting story but it just takes so long to say much of anything that I got bored pretty fast when reading it.

12 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one before, but it looks interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before. I hope you liked it. I don't know if I could sit through a word-y book at the moment. New BLoglovin' follower :)

    Danica @ A Redheaded Bookworm
    I feature Red Rising on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you got bored. Did it just need to be edited down? To me, it's all about the pacing.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little wordy, things were given deep explanation and description that didn't really need it from time to time. I mostly just lost motivation to finish the series even though I purchased all the books at the same time.

      Delete
  4. This one is new to me but sounds like something I would enjoy. Today I am featuring Dragon Harper by Anne McCaffrey as I work to lower TBR mountain. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer it when books are "less wordy" rather than "more wordy". But this does look good. I'm featuring Fortune's Rocks this week. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting story, but I'm afraid the wordiness would bother me. The editor part of my brain would start slashing away and take me out of the story. The formatting would too.
    My Friday post features FELICITY’S POWER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. The overly wordiness killed my motivation to finish the trilogy.

      Delete
  7. Sounds interesting to me... the beginning I can relate to being Canadian... lol.. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the cover and can definitely relate about the cold - that's how I feel every winter..lol..I would keep reading - hopefully this time you will get through the books easier - maybe it will get less wordy as it goes on. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are enjoying the book.

    Not my genre, but cover is gorgeous.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete