Translate

Sunday, September 27, 2015

1989 Tag


I saw this tag on Faith's Bookspiration and The 1989 book tag was a tag created by Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm to celebrate her new blog design, which is super pretty. Clearly, I wasn't tagged, but I decided to do it anyways... like I do. I love a good tag, and this one looked like a lot of fun. Ya'll should check out the mentioned blogs. :)


Welcome to New York
"You can want who you want, boys and boys and girls and girls."
1. A book with LGBT themes.
Over this past year, I have read a small handful of books with theme. Some were better than others, my favorite was:
A Story of Now by Emily O’Beirne
(Review)


Blank Space
"You can tell me if it's over if the high was worth the pain."
2. A book that hit you right in the feels... but it was totally worth it.
I've read a few books that have made me cry... and I always feel like a boob for crying at a book, this is my favorite book that made me cry:
Vain by Fisher Amelie
(Review)


"I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream."
3. A book that you hated but you loved the cover.
I didn't "hate" this book, it was just not what I was expecting and it was really poorly written, among other issues I had with it. I go into detail in my review.
Words Once Spoken by Carly Drake
(Review)


"I've got a blank space baby and I'll write your name."
4. Your latest book boyfriend/Girlfriend.
Hmm... I don't really know how to answer this. I am in my late 20's and I read mostly YA, making the male characters roughtly 12 years younger than me. But I still have my favorite male characters, so I'll just pick who I think is the best boyfriend in a book. If you read the book, you'll see how sweet and wonderful this guy is. It takes them a while to actually become a couple, but I love that it's a slow burn kind of story. It's more real that way... Okay I've said way too much already, just read the series.


Style
"We never go out of style."
5. A timeless classic you love.
Sadly, I really don't read that many actually classics. And by not many I haven't read any outside assigned reading for school. But the one I did read on my own that I liked was:
The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
(No review, I read it 11 years ago)


Out of the Woods
"The rest of the world is black and white, but we were in screaming color."
6. A book that had vivid world building.
Gah, so many to choose from. But the most recent one, that I think has pretty unique world building is:
Waking the Dragon by Juliette Cross
(Review)


"The monsters to turned out to be just trees."
7. A book where things weren't exactly as they seemed.
There are a few ways to interpret this one. I assume this has more to do with a greater mystery surrounding the plot that gets explained in the end. This story had moments when I wasn't sure what was going to happen or how the characters were going to survive.
The Heartless City by Andrea Berthot
(Review)


All you had to do was Stay
"You were all I wanted... but not like this."
8. A book you were eagerly anticipating, but ended up being disappointed by.
I know I am not alone with this. Im not even going to bother adding my review onto this. I was so disappointed with this book, knowing that I was never going to read it again, I sold my copies to my local book store, for store credit. It wasn't death, it was just a bunch of small things, and the explanation for what it means to be a Divergent, was just such a freaking cop-out and underwhelming. I wrote a review, before it settled in me all that bothered me. It was an emotional review and not a very accurate representation of my true feelings of the book.


Shake it Off
"The haters gonna hate..."
9. A book/series that everyone seems to love but you can't help but hate.
This isn't one that I hate either, I just feel kind of 'Meh' about it. It's not terrible, it's not great, it's just okay. And to be honest, I kind of liked the movie better than this first book.
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
(Didn't really write a review)


10. A book/series you love but everyone else seems to hate.
I honestly can't think of one... I read a decent amount of books that nobody has heard of, but I can't count those. But my favorite underrated book series is:
Elei's Chronicles by Chrystalla Thoma
(Review of book one)


I Wish You Would
"I wish you knew I'll never forget you as long as I live."
11. A book/series you know you will always love.
"I wish you were right here, right now."
12. An upcoming release you wish you could have RIGHT NOW.
There are a few, but there are a few that I really want right now, but I will narrow it down to one, which is going to be really hard:
(Runners up are Frozen TidesThe Rose Society, Six of Crows, The Winners Kiss, The Raven King, Illuminae, Glass Sword, and Ice Like Fire)


Bad Blood
"Now we've got bad blood, you know it used to be mad love."
13. A character you once loved but grew to hate.
Hmm... The only one that comes to mind is Adam from the Shatter Me Trilogy. But I didn't start to hate him until about halfway through:
Unite Me by Tahereh Mafi (Review)


"Did you have to do this, I was thinking that you could be trusted.
Did you have to ruin, what was shiny and now is all rusted."
14. An author you haven't forgiven for what they did to your favorite characters/books.
There are two authors that have punched me right in the feels with what they did to their characters:
Marie Lu because of Prodigy
and
Marie Rutkoski because of both Winners Curse and Winners Crime.
I am nervous for Winners Kiss...
*side note: what is it with Authors named Marie that hurt our souls?

Wildest Dreams
"I can see the end as it begins."
15. A book that was far too predictable.
I can't think of a single one right now.


"Nothing lasts forever but this is getting good now."
16. A book/series that you wish could have gone on forever.
Probably Harry Potter


How you get the Girl
"That's how it works, that's how you get the girl."
17. One of your favorite books where they 'got the girl'
I choose Ruin, because his main goal was never to "get her". Sure he was attracted to her, but because of things he was dealing with, he was just trying to help her get past the things holding her back. This was one of those books that started out really light hearted and sweet, then a thing happens that changed the way I thought about this book.


This Love
"In darkest screams, in wildest dreams, I never dreamed on this."
18. A book that completely shocked you
Honestly, I was really surprised at how much I loved this book, and eventually the series.
I held off reading it because I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but I found it for like 5$ on bookoutlet and bought it. And I am so glad I did.
Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Review)


I Know Places
"Loves a fragile little flame it could burn out."
19. A book you thought you loved but quickly came to hate.
I am aware I am one of the few that feels this way, but I just could not stand:
The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
I couldn't even bring myself to write a review for this book. It was boring, the world building was lacking in many ways, the characters were really underdeveloped. I was so upset because it sounded like it could have been amazing, it just wasn't as far as I'm concerned.


"Something  happens when everybody finds out.
 See the vultures circling dark clouds."
20. A book you didn't want to be seen reading
Honestly almost any New Adult contemporary Romance book. The stories are delightfully cliche at times, but the covers are so silly that often have nothing to do with the book at all. Covers that usually consist of a shirtless hot guy for literally no reason.


Clean
"The drought was the very worst, when the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst."
21. When the wait between books made you forget everything that had happened
This has happened a couple times. but it has more to do with me having a crap memory for small details.


"By morning, gone was any trace of you, I think I am finally clean."
22. A book/series you wiped from your memory
Well if I already hate the book, I tend to wipe my memory of it just enough so that I remember I hated it and the basics of why. I need to remember that I hated it.

But I wouldn't mind wiping my memory so I can read a series for the first time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment