Translate

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Ruin by Rachel VanDyken

Ruin #1
     I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michals offered to be my light.
     I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.
     Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.
     And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own.

I love, love, loved this book.

It started off kind of lighthearted. Kiersten starts at UW (University of Washington) still dealing with depression at the loss of her parents when she literally bumps into Westen.

Westen (Wes) is dealing with his own stuff and is completely smitten with Kiersten right away. At first his immediate attraction to her seems just really cliche, but it turns out that Wes is really sick and Kiersten slamming into him just seems like a lightening bolt that makes him want to survive his aliment.

The first half of this book is Wes trying to pull Kiersten out of her shell and depression. Kind of a last hurrah, and a way to make amends for the death of his brother the year before. Clearly these two people are built to help each other out. As their romance blooms they give each other really cute nick names. (Kiersten - Lamb, representing her innocence. Wes - Wolf, the big bad wolf that's trying to steal the lambs innocence.)

There was a character that was introduced early on that made it seem like she was going to be a bigger part of the story, but I was actually glad she wasn't, it would have taken away from the second half of the story. Which revolves around Wes and Kiersten's budding romance, and her discovering what his aliment is, the second half also made me cry, so thank you Ms.VanDyken for that.... making me need tissues to read the other half of your book real smooth.

I loved all the characters in this book. Wes and Kiersten are obviously the starring characters, but even Lisa, Kiersten's sassy roommate and Lisa's cousin Gabe were fantastic. When Gabe was introduced I was concerned that there would be some lame attempt at a love triangle, but it wasn't that at all. Gabe, though he finds Kiersten very attractive, looks out for her very much the same way he looks after his actual cousin.

Bottom line, I love this book and I think everyone should read it, even though it made me cry, and books don't make me cry easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment