Translate

Friday, April 24, 2015

The Last Quarrel: The Complete Edition by Duncan Lay

Title: The Last Quarrel
Author: Duncan Lay
Series: The Last Quarrel #1-5
Publisher: Momentum Books
Genre: Fantasy, Adult
Publication Date: April 23rd 2015
Source: NetGalley
Purchase: Amazon US | Kobo

Synopsis
     "Gaelland is a nation gripped by fear.
In the country, fishing boats return with their crews mysteriously vanished, while farms are left empty, their owners gone into the night, meals still on the table. In the cities, children disappear from the streets or even out of their own beds. The King tells his people that it is the work of selkies – mythical creatures who can turn from seals into men and back again – and witches. But no matter how many women he burns at the stake, the children are still being taken.
    Fallon is a man who has always dreamed of being a hero. His wife Bridgit just wants to live in peace and quiet, and to escape the tragedies that have filled her life. His greatest wish and her worst nightmare are about to collide.
     When an empty ship sails into their village, he begins to follow the trail towards the truth behind the evil stalking their land. But it is a journey that will take them both into a dark, dark place and nobody can tell them where it might end."


Review:
Sadly, this was a DNF for me. I tried really hard to get into this book, I just couldn't for whatever reason. Part of it had a little to do with losing track of who was who at times. 

It was written really well and the world is interesting and it has all the makings of a really great Fantasy story, I just struggled to connect to the characters, and get involved with their story and journey. I got to the point where I was mostly just skimming the book rather than actually reading it, which is why I decided to just not finish it. Seems strange to make a review for a book I didn't finish, but the not finishing it had more to do with my mind set over the quality of the book, which is actually pretty good, I was just not feeling it.

The main character in this book is much older than most characters of the books I read, being middle aged, rather than older teens and early to mid 20's. I would recommend this book to people, but only to those that love the High Fantasy and Adult Fantasy books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment